Predator 212 bore

mgilker

So iv been wondering and hoping some one can help, how much can the pred 212 be bored out without compromising structural integrity of the engine? If anyone knows I'd like to know the number in mm.

Depends on a lot of things... But 2.815" is safe before thinking about a new sleeve...

As for structural integrity... It is compromised as soon as you disconnect the governer...

2.815 is safe...after that it is a gamble with these Clone Blocks... 2.835 if the bore is nice and straight to start with... Some older Predators and Clones had a thicker sleeves...

Ok. If one were to put new, bigger sleeves in, how big then? Could the actually head its self (not just the sleeve) be bored out to allow for bigger?

With a new sleeve you can take it over 3", but you wont get a piston much bigger than 3" in the block, there simply isn't any room for it, at 3" bore you're already having to weld up the oil port to the right of the bore, and in the head to keep from having head gasket sealing issues.

I recently tried to bore a Hemi block to 2.913". It made a clean cut up to 2.871". It cut through the sleeve at 2.891". Some folks have said that they will take the 2.913", but I know of only one guy that it worked with. And that was an old non-hemi block. I sent mine off to have a sleeve put in for the 2.913". It's a smaller sleeve than the typical 3" bore sleeve that you get from NR or Isky. I bought it off of Summit Racing for $26 and its long enough to cut in half and make two sleeves. I have had several Honda blocks sleeved for 2.992-3.031" bores. The sleeves are around 3.180"-3.25" O.D. The larger sleeves will cut into to upper bolt holes so it's best to use one that is closer to 3.180" or you'll have issues with the top head bolt threads. There's no real issues inside the block when using the 3" bores. Actually there's less clearancing to do in some areas because of the bigger bore. I always recommend that any 3" motors have bracing welded on, but I have seen a Honda 3" motor make 27 hp on my dyno without welding and no issues. Also I had an unwelded predator make 28.88 and multiple pulls to 9600 rpm. I was standing back for sure, but it held together.

I recently tried to bore a Hemi block to 2.913". It made a clean cut up to 2.871". It cut through the sleeve at 2.891". Some folks have said that they will take the 2.913", but I know of only one guy that it worked with. And that was an old non-hemi block. I sent mine off to have a sleeve put in for the 2.913". It's a smaller sleeve than the typical 3" bore sleeve that you get from NR or Isky. I bought it off of Summit Racing for $26 and its long enough to cut in half and make two sleeves. I have had several Honda blocks sleeved for 2.992-3.031" bores. The sleeves are around 3.180"-3.25" O.D. The larger sleeves will cut into to upper bolt holes so it's best to use one that is closer to 3.180" or you'll have issues with the top head bolt threads. There's no real issues inside the block when using the 3" bores. Actually there's less clearancing to do in some areas because of the bigger bore. I always recommend that any 3" motors have bracing welded on, but I have seen a Honda 3" motor make 27 hp on my dyno without welding and no issues. Also I had an unwelded predator make 28.88 and multiple pulls to 9600 rpm. I was standing back for sure, but it held together.
I am new to this and would like to try to do the whole boring thing on my mill. Would you be willing to help me find parts and give me some guidance?

Back