Predator 212 Hemi Won't Idle After Valve Lash Adjustment

If your using an aftermarket flywheel , you may need to open the air gap up some over stock . I am not sure if the PVL uses earth magnets . Try a 34 low speed jet along with your 38 high and see if that helps . Make sure the fuel shutoff isn't closed . It should be running if you have spark and fuel . This might sound crazy , but see if you can get the carb to flood , easy way to see if fuel is flowing , if not flowing means a blockage has stopped the flow . A new coil might not be a bad investment , even if it isn't the problem , it's good to have an extra . Make sure the switch isn't bad if your running one , or that no wires are grounding out the coil . You have went thru just about everything . Air gap the coil about 30 to 35

Did you check the timing key yet? Might be time you open up the carb and go through it (I know you switched them out), but it sounds like a fueling issue.

Could also swap out the coil, but doubt its an issue.
Going to check the timing key next. Probably after today. Ever since I got my first full time job I only really have time to work on this thing on the weekends.

So I did some more tinkering today...
It's alive!

Checked the timing key and found the flywheel riding on the wrong side of the key.
flywheel_key__75400.1611931255.png

The gap between the flywheel keyway and the flywheel should be towards the front of the engine, mine was towards the rear (sort of hard to see):
20210218_141618.jpg

I'm not sure if it somehow got loose or I always had it set wrong. From there I reset the lash back to stock, put some Royal Purple 10w30 in it, and adjusted the idle as needed. I still have some concerns, since I still had to use starting fluid to get it running, but I think that's mostly because it's so cold. The kart originally idled for a bit, backfired through the carb, and then stalled, but once it got warmed up it kept running. I hope this fixed it. Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far!

Only planned modification from here is a GX140 emulsion tube for a slightly richer mixture and a bit of a low end boost.

It's running now but still not perfect. Like I said, it won't start without starting fluid and it will still stall out occasionally. Thinking about opening up the coil gap just to see if that helps at all. Will keep you posted.

UPDATE: Increased the coil gap, still have the same issue. Pretty much square 1 again. No idea how it was running before but it's not now. My dad reccomended changing the coil, since he had a similar issue on a riding mower recently. Just ordered one to be safe.

Last edited:
Swapped in the new emulsion tube today. Still using 0.38 jet. It's starting up now even in 25 degree weather, and no starting fluid! Don't think the coil is bad after all, but I still have a new one coming in. I'll just keep it on standby. Once this snow melts we'll see how she performs once in motion.

Back