Predator 212 supercharger or turbocharger?

WetWilly

So I have a predator 212 and I want to know wich would be better, a turbo or a supercharger. I'm planning on turbo for the noise alone and efficiency but I would like a professional opinion or 20 on wich is better. Also, what are some cheap upgrades that boost performance? For example jetting the carbs. And if so what specs would it be? I'm open to billet parts as well I just need specs. Thank you!

you will need an oil supply for the turbo, so super charger will be easier.

I'm doing a SC build right now, I went with billet long rod, forged piston with the top milled(changed the rod to stroke ratio to 1.7:1) and billet flywheel for a solid bottom end, left the 22cc combustion chamber, but heavily deshrouded the valves, 308 cam with chromoly cut to length pushrods 1.3 roller rockers and ported head, i hope to push 30 hp on the top end but lots of torque down low as well, it will be using alcohol, im building a drift cart.

i got a 500cc blower because i didn't want a China unit, i bought a used OEM Aisin amr500 off a Subaru shipped form Japan i need to underdrive it so its 15psi at about 9k rpm i forget the ratio but its like 2.5:1

you will need a new carb and will want to do a draw through setup, although tat will make it leggy, so the other option is to go EFI with some thing like this https://wtmtronics.com/product/spartan/

Last edited:
There have been several that have claimed to supercharge or turbo a single cylinder. But, none have actually done dyno runs to prove they're actually gaining performance instead of hurting it. The benefits don't outweigh the negatives for a single cylinder. There are quite a few posts on here under the search function talking specifically about all this. I'm not saying any of this to dissuade anyone. I'd love to see dyno runs to prove it's building sufficient boost and actually producing more power.

All the stuff on Youtube I haven't seen proof yet.

There have been several that have claimed to supercharge or turbo a single cylinder. But, none have actually done dyno runs to prove they're actually gaining performance instead of hurting it. The benefits don't outweigh the negatives for a single cylinder. There are quite a few posts on here under the search function talking specifically about all this. I'm not saying any of this to dissuade anyone. I'd love to see dyno runs to prove it's building sufficient boost and actually producing more power.

All the stuff on Youtube I haven't seen proof yet.
there is a lot of truth in this post, mainly due to the lack of exhaust pluses, i can see the turbo not working well due to the engine only exhausting 1/4 of the time and would be difficult to keep lubed and cooled (if coolant cooled). With the SC its a bit easier to rig up but will use more power to make the power to make power since the SC has so much weight to spin at high rpm.

so normally a turbo is more efficient but i think on a single cylinder the SC will be more efficient.

my plan uses a bigger SC turning at lower RPM to make the same volume of air, so on one end there is protentional it will use more power turning the over sized SC but at the same time will make a cooler intake charge because its compressing the same volume slower

another though is spinning something a larger weight at 3500rpm should be easier then spinning a lighter weight at 10,000rpm.

but like said above it has yet to be proven. with my engine if the SC doesn't work out i can just mill the head to 14cc and run a hi comp NA build

one trick i plan to use is a large plenum on the intake to smooth things out and also use EFI with a single injector spraying the back of my intake valve form about 6" away so no draw though setup and also no alcohol puddling in the larger plenum also i may look into using an electric clutch similar to an AC system so the SC comes on around 2500 rpm to help with idle and low end stability

its all a learning experience i have no set outcome and just happy to fabricate stuff, Ive been a manual machinist for 19 years and love building stuff

Last edited:
Could power the sc, via weed wahcker engine as a test of feasibility. Actually get the carb/fuel injection figured out . Then .
Anything could spin the sc .

Last edited:
Back