Predator 212 won’t start

homer69

Hi,
Hope this is the correct place to post.

Hopefully someone here can help me, I am stumped. I bought a new Predator 212 cc motor for my wood splitter last year. It has run great until yesterday. It last ran a couple weeks ago. So, it usually starts first pull, but yesterday it fired for a couple seconds and wouldn’t start after that.

Seems to be getting enough fuel and spark. Oil level is good. Unplugged the low oil sensor. I have cleaned the magneto, set the coil gap, cleaned the carb, new and clean fuel.

One time I got it pop for a second after spraying starting fluid, the other times nothing happened.

I don’t have a compression tester, but there is some compression with my finger when turned over.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jesse

Try changing the fuel and adding some gas line antifreeze. I would bet either water in the tank or the gas broke down forming water in the tank

Thanks for the reply’s. I drained the tank and added new gas. The carb and jets were all clean.
How do you check and see if the flywheel slipped?

Pull the flywheel cover and see if the crank key lines up with the crank keyway lines up with the keyway in the flywheel.

Thanks for the help. I finally got it running. Flywheel was good. The exhaust valve was looser than it should of been. It was around 0.005” when 0.003” is called for. Adjusted both valves and it fired right up. A fun way to learn about these motors.

I don’t think that was the problem. That engine will run with .010 or more lash. Good it wasn’t flywheel. I have a sneaky feeling whatever it was will raise its ugly head again

Back