Predator 212 won't start after governor removal

Drone27

Hi I recently decided that it was finally time for me to start looking at mods for my predator engine I decided to start with governor removal. I removed the governor and washer and all and tapped and plugged the hole for the governor arm. In this process I accidentally removed the cam but did put it back with the correct timing. After putting the engine back together it would just spudder and backfire well sometimes trying to rip your hand off. Since then I have completely torn apart the engine and check the following.

-camshaft timing
-valve lash
-spark
-that the push rods are on the lifters
-that the ignition switch is working

Any help would be appreciated struggling to figure this thing out just can't seem to find what I'm doing wrong.

You need to reset your valve lash if you pulled the cam out of the engine when you removed the governor. Pull the valve cover off, make sure the rockers and pushrods and everything is in the right place and reset the valve lash with the engine at top dead center with both valves closed. You can use a screwdriver in the spark plug hole while you turn the engine over so you can see when the piston is at the top of the cylender. Set the lash, then rotate the engine over a few times and recheck the lash again. Dont remove the low oil sensor from the engine, just cut off the yellow wire in the front of the block or disconnect that wire from the rest of them and tie it off so it isnt hanging in the way or anything, simple as that

Didn't have the flywheel off could check that next i have set valve lash many times and with no luck what do you set your lash at?

it sounds like you are meticulously trying to sort this out. With your description of your method, the only thing I can come up with is cam timing. You said you checked it. Myself, I would pull the side cover and scrutinize whether the alignment "dots" are meshing exactly as they should. Then, put a degree wheel on it if all else fails. Valve lash, just to get the engine running, .004" on both will work.
good luck, keep us posted.

You might just be flooding it. Let it dry out then pull it a good 10 times with the throttle open before you think about choking it.

Did you have the flywheel off? It sounds like it could be a sheared flywheel key.
This is possible if its backfired a few times .
Bring it up too tdc rotate the flywheel counter clock 2 inches . The magnet should be pretty much right under the coil . If its off a half turn its slipped .

I tried setting the valve lash to .004 didn't help has the same issue the flywheel key is intact it seemed like the spark timing is correct to

I believe the valve lash spec for a stock engine is 0.006 on intake, and 0.008 on exhaust.

I’d check the cam timing again, it’s easy enough to do, and could very well be your problem. I had a similar problem with one of my engines, turns out I was a complete idiot and forgot to line up the marks on the cam and crank.

Also, when you adjust valve lash be sure not to adjust it when it’s on the compression release, it’s very easy to accidentally do that.

I’d also check the flywheel key, if the key is sheared your ignition timing is messed up

Did you remove your ignition coil? If so it goes back a certain way, if you install it upside down it will cause a condition like you’re describing. I want to say the spark plug wire faces up, and the ground wire faces down, I’m not 100% sure on that though

One more thing, if you put too much oil in the engine after removing the governor it will work it’s way up into the cylinder and foul out the spark plug, causing a similar condition to what your describing. I did that the first time I removed a governor.

Hope this helps you.

Back