Predator 212 won’t start after rebuild.

XRJSKX

Okay guys this is my first post on this site but I’ve gotten a lot of valuable information from here in the past so I thought y’all could help. I have a predator 212 that I bought used on a old kart. It has always ran fine, started on first or second pull but it would only top out at 27 MPH and it cut off terribly cornering hard. I pulled the crankcase cover and removed the governor and oil pressure sensor and plugged the holes with a bolt/oring and some permatex and put it back together. I did have the head off to clean up some rough edges and just inspect it while it was apart but I did not have the cam or the valves out at any time. I reassembled the engine and have nothing but problems. Put fresh oil and gas in it no start, checked spark and it has strong spark, not solid blue spark but blue/orange. Adjusted valves at TDC and with the other method I found on here still nothing. Flywheel key is not sheared and cam was never removed so timing should not be an issue. Thought maybe carb was problem but have pulled all jets and thoroughly cleaned everything and it still will not even start with starting fluid. I did get it to pop twice when pulling it with throttle wide open but nothing since. Almost seems to me like it’s not getting fuel but I have blown through the carb and it does not seem clogged. Any advice would be greatly appreciated I’ve tried everything I can think of and am about to the point of buying a new engine.

Pull spark plug and make sure completely dry then reinstall.
Put carb on choke and pull a couple times....pull plug again and see if it's wet or not.

You had the side cover of , pulled the governor and low oil . Its a good chance you disturbed the cam timing . Me , i would check that first .

Pull spark plug and make sure completely dry then reinstall.
Put carb on choke and pull a couple times....pull plug again and see if it's wet or not.
After pulling the plug and drying it off I puked the engine a few times with no plug and it appeared flooded but after reinstalling the plug and pulling it several times the plug is still dry.

You had the side cover of , pulled the governor and low oil . Its a good chance you disturbed the cam timing . Me , i would check that first .
I agree with this also....double double check the cam and crank and make sure the dots are aligning with each other.

I’d say the valve adjustment is just a touch off, with those light springs it don’t take much for them to not seal up tight.

Basic fundamental facts; if the engine has compression, if the engine is getting spark, at the right time, and it's getting fuel, and the valves are opening and closing, at the right time, the engines going to run!

I had a similar issue , cleaned carb twice , set valves twice , checked for spark .
Noticed whem i had a big gap no spark tight gap spark .
Bought a new plug , stuck it in without checking . Pull cord vroom vroom .

Back