Predator Break in and Oil

kmc3420

Hello All. Looking for advice on breaking in my new predator, it is modified. I also wanted to know which weight oil to run. I have read 10W-30 to 15W-40, I assume preference plays a big part in this. Thanks for any advice. This is my first predator build.

Thanks everybody for the responses. I will for sure be going with a 30 weight. Most likely will go with a Lucas Karting oil.

Engine properly built do not need extended break in periods, Build, start, warm it up, listen observe, operate reasonable through RPM range, change the oil, do the dyno pulls or race it. They do not specific break in oil, and do not idle for extended periods, get at it, it is right or wrong it will let you know.

I find it hard to understand why 4 cycles are so much different from 2 cycles as far as breaking them in. I never used a different oil for break-in.

Have you ever heard of a snake oil salesman? They're everywhere, be careful.

In days gone by the metturgy and tooling was quite different, break in periods were required and specific oils were recommended. Today materials and machining processes are far superior.

Engine properly built do not need extended break in periods, Build, start, warm it up, listen observe, operate reasonable through RPM range, change the oil, do the dyno pulls or race it. They do not specific break in oil, and do not idle for extended periods, get at it, it is right or wrong it will let you know.

I like that, "get at it"! I already purchased the BR30 break in oil, and will use it for the first oil change. I think I am over thinking this for sure. Thanks for reassuring me.

you know Al I finally agree with you on some thing, I have been building kart engines for 20+ years and never really did the "break in" thing like some talk about. I build them, put oil in it and start it up for a little while and if it sounds good we go racing
I find it hard to understand why 4 cycles are so much different from 2 cycles as far as breaking them in. I never used a different oil for break-in.

Have you ever heard of a snake oil salesman? They're everywhere, be careful.

I'm with Kart43 on this, get at it. I NEVER use a break in oil or use a different oil than what I race. I don't care if its a "stock" engine or a "modified" engine. I personally run Amsoil Dominator Racing oil and that's what I use from start to finish. I get it in 2 weights, 5w-20 and 10w-30. Stockers get the lighter one, mods the heavier one. There are many good oils out there. Pick one and use it. Switching oils will eventually lead to problems with some being non-compatible with others.

Back