predator build question

You need to pull the head and measure how far the piston sits in the hole at TDC. I got a few old blocks off CL and most needed +.040 rod to be flush with the deck, while one would have had .015 pop so went with .020 rod.

ok. can i do this with the stock dished piston or will i have to get the flat top and put it on the stock rod?

I measured mine with flat top installed, since i already had it installed and i believe the piston has around .020" shorter compression height than the dished piston.

9 times out of 10 you'll use the .040+ rod in a non hemi block with the hemi flat top piston. Very few engines have a short enough deck height that you'll have any problems with piston pop up. Its always a good idea to pull the head off and check piston depth with the piston you plan to use before ordering a rod. If you want to play it safe, get a .020+ rod then after you get the rod and piston installed, check how far in the hole it is, then take the block to a machine shop to have the block decked however much you need. Keep piston to head clearance in mind

Back