Predator build

bullerman

Going to put a billet rod, cam and springs in a friend of mines motor. Never fooled with a predator. The cam says 32 degrees of timing. Can I just use and advanced key. If so what key would put it at 32 degrees. All I ever built was flathead. I had all my tools for that. He also has a billet flywheel to go with it. Just wond er ing about the timing.

Looked at her the flywheel ( 6626) and like you said 32 degrees built in. That's good. I will be using the ARC rod with Dyno Builders Prepared Cam. Is there usually any clearencing that has to be done? I know I used to have to clearance the cam on stock appearing flathead I built but I didn't thunk you would have to on something like this.
I have a gasket kit also. It has a thin headmaster. I measured it at .012 thousandths. I s this the gasket for the non hemi? I read somewhere they were different in thickness.
Should I use 10.8 or 18 pound valve springs with this cam? It doesn't say anything about on the cam card. Thanks for the help.

Yes it is a hemi. Do I have to use a hemi head gasket or can I use the thin head gasket?
Do the valves come seated pretty good from the factory or should I reseat them. Always had problems with that with the old flatheads.

So if I use the stock key it will put it right at 32 degrees of timing. I don't have a degree wheel or indicator anymore. Just close as I can get to 32 degrees is all I can do. Thanks

Thin head gasket should be fine .
Provided you do not add a lot of lift.
32*. +or- . Depending on keyway location.

Looked at her the flywheel ( 6626) and like you said 32 degrees built in. That's good. I will be using the ARC rod with Dyno Builders Prepared Cam. Is there usually any clearencing that has to be done? I know I used to have to clearance the cam on stock appearing flathead I built but I didn't thunk you would have to on something like this.
I have a gasket kit also. It has a thin headmaster. I measured it at .012 thousandths. I s this the gasket for the non hemi? I read somewhere they were different in thickness.
Should I use 10.8 or 18 pound valve springs with this cam? It doesn't say anything about on the cam card. Thanks for the help.
I build a lot of S/A and small block opens, I don't know the lift on your cam, but I would run at least 26lb springs. all depends on the cam ,if you will have to clearance it or not, I have had to clearance the cam in most motors with 310 lift, witch is what I mostly run. If the flywheel has 32* in it, then just run a strait key and you will be close. With the head gasket, I run a 40 thousandth head gasket for more what they call "skwish" area, a lot of the big HP guys talk about this, the thin head gasket is good if you have the dished piston like the non hemi, that's why the hemi has a thicker gasket, because of the flat top piston, it lowers your comp. a little but there is more room for fuel and air.

Just a stock Predator. The cam has .224 lift intake and 231 lift on exhaust.
You feel like the stock thick hemi gasket is better to use than the non hemi thin gasket. I just figured the thinner gasket would be better. I had put the thin one on. I may change it back. I am using the 18lb springs. Using stock push rods also. I am al.ost afraid of the with 18 lb springs. I hope they are not to weak.
It does say on the cam card to use 18 lb springs.
I just wasn't clear on using the straight up key. Thanks for that.

Just a stock Predator. The cam has .224 lift intake and 231 lift on exhaust.
You feel like the stock thick hemi gasket is better to use than the non hemi thin gasket. I just figured the thinner gasket would be better. I had put the thin one on. I may change it back. I am using the 18lb springs. Using stock push rods also. I am al.ost afraid of the with 18 lb springs. I hope they are not to weak.
It does say on the cam card to use 18 lb springs.
I just wasn't clear on using the straight up key. Thanks for that.
with the 224 lift, the 18lb should be ok, The thin gasket will give you more compression, but less area and may run hotter on gasoline, we methanol, just watch what rules the track runs, some say no mismatch parts, like you cant run non hemi parts on a hemi and the other way around, and they will bust for that thin gasket on a hemi. Also if you can, you might want to get chrome moly pushrods, with heavier springs you don't want to bend pushrods.

Back