Predator Carb and Akra rules

My daughter was dq’d in her purple plate predator class race. Reason being was the carburetor screw was split “butterflied”. We accepted that and walked away, till we got home and noticed all 4 of our brand new predator motors had the same exact screw in it. After calling the track, we were told they follow Akra rules on the carburetor, which I then looked into their rules on the website and it states the carburetor can be changed to a akra carb. It does not state it must be run. The rules also state the motor must be run out of the box, minus floor mounted gas tank, cold air intake, 10.8 valve spring, weenie pipe and muffler.
I admit i don’t know the Akra rules. I am in the process of ordering the rule book.
I guess my question is how can a factory carburetor not be legal because the screw is split and does anyone know specifically if this is called out in the rule book. My second question would be why would it matter, we are running a purple restrictor plate. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Haha, you are probably right about the rules changing. But let’s take that out of the equation. Would the split in the bolt provide an advantage? If it did would it even matter with the restrictor plate? But mostly, and maybe I’ll have to wait to see the rule book, what does the Akra rule say?

17FDF67F-2F2B-47A7-9B2D-849ABD68595F.jpeg
E51C3E30-6980-4924-A4B9-808399763268.jpeg

Pictures for reference

By AKRA rules that butterfly screw would fail tech, but a predator carb all around will not pass AKRA rules ..but we are talking OTB predator, the split in this screw is done as a thread locker, it could be a performance gain but very minimal, I have seen several of these in OTB predators lately

looks like an effort to keep the screw from backing out or..........take advantage of the polybineasium effect which only Harbor Freight has knowlege of ( pat pend ).

By AKRA rules that butterfly screw would fail tech, but a predator carb all around will not pass AKRA rules ..but we are talking OTB predator, the split in this screw is done as a thread locker, it could be a performance gain but very minimal, I have seen several of these in OTB predators lately
i bought a plate carb from dover and i'm pretty sure it looks exactly like that

The split butterfly screw is NOT a new item...This screw was primary in the Huayi carb on clones for years....NKA addressed the issue of the split ends breaking off in there rules years ago.....You measure the screw as presented to tech official when it is removed...Most builders will cut screw off and replace with the non-split butterfly screw.....What can we expect on a carb you can buy and shipped to you door for $10.00....Anything in the carb that changes air flow will affect performace,Could be a postive or negative affect....

Last edited:
Ask your tech man if he is following this forums page , if not , ask him to ! When a track or series refers to them using AKRA rules , they are mostly referring to the clone box stock rules as a guide . AKRA does not have Predator specific rules in the rule book . The tech man should have given you a warning to have the screw replaced by the next race , and should have gone over any other items that they would deem as a DQ able item or items . In my opinion , the tech man has failed to follow the tracks rules , which as you state , " The carb may be switched to an AKRA carb " and if proof of the split screw can be shown to be in a completely stock carb that has not been altered , then the tech person is in the wrong . The wording of the track rules need to be changed to be more specific , and to state that the carb Must follow AKRA Box Stock Clone or whatever carb rules . Truth of the matter may have come down to your team beating their team because your team was just better prepared that day !

Last edited:
This is exactly why I favor the claim rules in box stock, completely eliminates the tech procedure.. to which I oppose to making rules for the predator, this class will soon …. Wait ! Already has turned into a builder engine …

I’m not sure if the track follows this forum or not. I accepted the DQ at the race because I wasn’t aware that predator motors were coming out with the screw split. And like others have said I’m sure it’s there to keep the screw from backing out. I only came to this forum after calling and finding out they wouldn’t change the results when we found it came this way from the factory. I thought I had previously heard Akra does not have predator rules. I would not have a problem if it if they stated you must run Akra carb. It bugs me even more that she is running for points towards a championship and was until this point, in first place, and had a win taken away from her.

Now what needs done is find out exactly what , how or who youget a legal carb form that they accept .
If your racing the tech man , track owner there good freind or local hot shot/golden child .
I wish you the best of Luck .
Funny you say "golden child" We race against one they have nicknamed the golden girl.

I don't understand how that small notch would make ANY difference in airflow to the engine. Even more so in a engine with a restrictor plate.

I know this is an older thread but if that is a SP carb for the HEMI, that is an OEM factory part, meaning it came from the factory that way and should have been teched as such. It's cases just like this where the techman should apply common knowledge of "known" factory OEM parts. While you can follow clone carb tech procedures and use many of the tech tools for the AKRA and NKA carb tech, the fact that the every predator is unboxed with OEM parts and those parts are allowed, it must be treated as such to benefit the racers who are actually legal. If tracks are making up their own rules it only magnifies the problem of pushing the cost of the Predators higher and higher by making racers feel they need to invest in higher cost performance add-ons that aren't needed in the first place. All Predator engines should be tech based upon FACTORY OEM parts. If not, it completely defeats the purpose of the class.

Back