Predator education

btjones65

Picked up my first predator to do some club dirt racing. No heavy tech but, there is a 140.00 and the motor has to appear to be stock out of the box. The governor can be removed.
They usually 200 lap iron man races on small 1/8 mile track. So, I don’t want to go to far into the mods.
I was thinking maybe a stroker crank, carb jetting, maybe a mild cam. What would you guys recommend?

Bruce J

Not that talented a driver. If I’m on the lead lap it’s a miracle.

stroker crank not a thing in the predators? Or, just not worth it?

At some where around 3 bills it could be . Then you need a rod and piston so you in the 500 dollar range plus you need to be relatively talented to install .
It would look stock !

Ok now I just realized ! You know the answers to all these questions .
Just put predator tins on one of them hot rod animals ...:)
How far away is the inspection ?
6 ft or top row of the grandstand

Go get some 1.3 ratio rockers 10.8 valve springs 31 main jet 21 low speed jet if you don't have to run stock air box then get a cheater carb from Dover. Put your stroker crank money in your tires and prep. This should be all you need to hang on to.

Ok now I just realized ! You know the answers to all these questions .
Just put predator tins on one of them hot rod animals ...:)
How far away is the inspection ?
6 ft or top row of the grandstand
I really don’t. Give me an animal and I can make it into a hot rod in a flash. But, I’m lost witj the preds.
I ran my 206 Super stock on my sprint kart in stock appearing for the last race ( and did okay with it).
The predators are a little different. They have to appear stock ...period
Stock air box and muffler.

Think Steves idea will put me on the right track.

I really don’t. Give me an animal and I can make it into a hot rod in a flash. But, I’m lost witj the preds.
I ran my 206 Super stock on my sprint kart in stock appearing for the last race ( and did okay with it).
The predators are a little different. They have to appear stock ...period
Stock air box and muffler.

Think Steves idea will put me on the right track.
Did you change anything on your sprint kart when you ran it?

port/polish what you've got($0) get a NKA/AKRA style cam($50) and 10.8 springs shimmed close to coil bind($15), mill the head to the fin($40), call dover tell him what all you have done and order what carb he suggests($60) and go have fun.

Did I change anything....Yeah tires!

...and I am that bad as a driver. Not ashamed of it. I was 50 before I ever turned a lap in a kart and my experience before that was in a soapbox derby car when I was 11. I am good with motors though and occasionally pretty inventive with setup. So, I can get by. Winning however, is not high on the probability list.

Good advice on the head. I can mill myself and probably just drive over to Dover and pick up the

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in western Kentucky box stock Predator class got way out of control a couple years ago. big cams, hogged out carbs, heavier springs, you name it. Stock airboxes though and left exhaust at either a weenie pipe or stock muffler. A handful of engine builders were putting out motors that could hold their own against karts in the Stock Appearing class. So theres a lot that can be done and keep you legal in your group.

Back