Predator Engine Gremlin

DJ_DeeZal

I have a predator engine I ran for 2 races without problems, the third race the issues started. It would run fine for 3 laps and shut off as if it were running out of gas. It would crank back up immediately after it died. 3 more laps and it died again. The only thing that had been done to the engine was the governor removed (completely inside and out) and the low oil pressure switch disabled. I changed the carb, coil, fuel line, spark plug, removed the fuel tank (stock) drained and blew out with air (removed and replaced the strainer in bottom of the tank also) and still does the same thing. It's weird it ran fine for 2 races then suddenly this started. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Make sure gas tank is vented. Many drill holes in cap. I would then change the coil. Though your symptoms suggest running out of fuel, the coils on these are very suspect. Vent thew cap. test. then change the coil. JMO

Hey jss, the gas cap is vented and I tried 2 different coils, 1 being brand new. It's got me stumped. Thanks for the reply.

Ran into a similar issue this last winter. Would run fine for a few laps and then start cutting out. If a caution was thrown it would get better and then a few laps in it would start to cut out again. The issue was the fuel line to the carb. We used a small section of the stock fuel line to adapt the larger fuel line we had. Unfortunately we had squeezed down the fuel line by doing so. The carb would fill the bowl but couldn't keep up with the demand of the motor. Once rpm's would drop the bowl would fill again and start the cycle all over.

On a separate motor we had similar issues and turned out to be that the emulsion tube needed to be cleaned out. Visually it looked ok but once we cleaned it out the problems went away.

Had similar issue. Ended up finding the rubber gasket inside the fuel shutoff had a little tear and would constrict the fuel to bowl. Let it sit, bowl would fill up, run fine until engine burned fuel in bowl. Changed that rubber gasket with the 4 holes and no more issues.

Are you running a hose you your catch can? Check to make sure its not plugged or kinked. Fuel pump wont work without proper ventilation.

Back