Predator Gearing - 1/8th Mile Prepared Track

Ken,

Quick question..... With this setup I have discussed above I am running a Noram GE Ultimate Clutch with lightweight shoes and brown springs. I think this provides an engagement somewhere around 1800 RPM I have searched on this forum a little and see some recommendations for engagement higher up. I initally got this clutch configuration from Flattop1 and OVALTECH so I know it is reliable advice - just wanted to know what your input might be on this...... Also the RPM engagement for brown springs is based off of the spring chart on BMI website. not sure if this is for heavy or light shoes. Cant seem to find the correct chart from Noram.

Last edited:
Ken,

Quick question..... With this setup I have discussed above I am running a Noram GE Ultimate Clutch with lightweight shoes and brown springs. I think this provides an engagement somewhere around 1800 RPM I have searched on this forum a little and see some recommendations for engagement higher up. I initally got this clutch configuration from Flattop1 and OVALTECH just wanted to know what your input might be on this...... Also the RPM engagement for brown springs is based off of the spring chart on BMI website. not sure if this is for heavy or light shoes. Cant seem to find the correct chart from Noram.
To be honest on clutch info especially shoe I'm not your guy the guy's you mention would know better than me, others like Brian Carlson would have good info, 1800 engagement sounds a little low to me, I will confirm with one of the Predator races here and get back to you.

Looks like your doing much better, Ken gives good advice .
Clutch tuning is much like chassis tuning. You can tune your self out of contention.
The chart is a basic starting point .
Does it start engaging at 1800 rpm .
That is a little low though if its working and your not burning the clutch up I might be hesitant to change anything right away.

Looks like your doing much better, Ken gives good advice .
Clutch tuning is much like chassis tuning. You can tune your self out of contention.
The chart is a basic starting point .
Does it start engaging at 1800 rpm .
That is a little low though if its working and your not burning the clutch up I might be hesitant to change anything right away.
Do you know if that chart is for light or heavy shoes?

NORAM has the chart on their website. You could loosen the stall up a bit and raise it, we have a tight non momentum track so I keep it low and on the starts I like the lower engagement. Some will say I'm wrong but we pull kart on a re start so it is staying as is. I have tried the light reds and didn't like the restarts I may sneak up on it a bit with the light blacks

Last edited:
also as Brian will tell you those are charts show chatter settings not full lockup. the light browns give us a lockup around 21/2200 as a rule of thumb we noticed the noram chart will give you a number you can normally add 300 rpm to for full lockup

also as Brian will tell you those are charts show chatter settings not full lockup. the light browns give us a lockup around 21/2200 as a rule of thumb we noticed the noram chart will give you a number you can normally add 300 rpm to for full lockup
Thank you.. very helpful. I think ill order some blacks to just compare.

here ya go

Attachments

• B6D78333-15DF-4F1C-823B-D4E52FCD9579.png
    B6D78333-15DF-4F1C-823B-D4E52FCD9579.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 65
personally i feel they just work better that way. less shoe chatter and way smoother.
I am going to try it this weekend like that. And it seemed great to me during the practice session. Just was running with the clone guys and predators running alcohol as well so didnt have the best frame of reference, but I was passing people. Ill be interested to see how starts and restarts go. I will let you know how it goes. - Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Hello I also need some input on gearing
So our local track is 1/8 mile flat track red clay in marble ,North Carolina
It’s long straights with tight turns with very minimal banking , although I can flat pedal this track in order to do so I seem to have to much side bight I’m assuming. My tires are maxxis slick 6psi 5psi
Gears are 14/60 and I’m getting smoked !!
Coming out of curve my motor binds looses rpm and I get lapped even though I have it flat footed and never let off .
Please help if you can

It’s long straights with tight turns with very minimal banking , although I can flat pedal this track in order to do so I seem to have to much side bight I’m assuming. My tires are maxxis slick 6psi 5psi
Coming out of curve my motor binds looses rpm and I get lapped even though I have it flat footed and never let off .
Please help if you can
I see you Pm me as well, I'll respond more tomorrow, but sounds like more a tire set up issue than gearing, If your engine is bogging in the turn your to tight ( in the track to much ) need to FREE the thing up, Give complete details on Track conditions, Tires and prep , which chassis set up numbers including caster, cambers, L block positioning Left and right , Class and weight, as much detail as possible .

Please help if you can
I run a similar track with stick hemi/governor removed. I run similar gears(13/54) max rpms 5000 to 5150. I was experiencing the same issue. If I flat footed I would scrub speed coming out of the corners. I started feathering the throttle on entry and full throttling out and it worked wonders. I win most of my features. Had comments on my corner speed. I make most of my passes on corner exit. Hope this helps.

Back