Predator motor question

bullerman

I see a lot of the tracks for the out of the box predator use the rpm type tech. If you have a motor with a illegal cam and carb will it have an advantage over the box stock motor not being able to turn more rpm. I see most of the tracks leave the governor on so it wouldn't seem like you would gain anything. Just wondered about this.
One of the tracks I used to run at had two girls in junior two. It was flatheads. You could do whatever to the motor. Both of them were running big bore stroker motors with junior two restrictor plates. Just wondering if if kind of would be the same thing with the predator with the stock muffler, governor etc.

So you think the blueprinted or tuned motor would have a advantage over the box even though they turned the same rpm.
I was just wondering. Trying to help a new track owner come up with some predator rules.

There are going to be limits , provided by the governor, carb and muffler.
Yes i do think they could be exploited . It will be costly and the gains may be minimal .
Trying to invent a new rule set i believe is going to be detrimental when you can use the SPG or the rule set there using in Pennsylvania .
Governor intact and rpm limit will keep things pretty much in check .
A claim rule would not be a bad thing , i like the idea of the track claiming the engine with them giving you a new one in the box . That kinda keeps the personalities out of it .

Or; every week, 1st place finisher has to trade motors with the 5th place finisher. You'd have to sign a waiver, and if you refuse the exchange, you could no longer race in that class.

The torque of the engine below max RPM is what you tune for. A simple RPM max is a useless rule.
"Horsepower" is a calculation, how much work you're producing in a given amount of time. (RPM) The goal is to keep your torque curve as high as possible. You measure the available torque, multiply it by the RPM, and that gives you the amount of power you're producing. Think of torque as "work" and HP as "how much work". Obviously, the higher the torque curve, the more power you will be producing at higher RPMs.
Torque x RPM / 5252.1 = HP. 33,000 pounds feet per minute, divided by 2 pi radians = 5252.1. That's where that number comes from.
Go to Wikipedia and look up James Watt for an explanation for where the term HP came from.

The torque of the engine below max RPM is what you tune for. A simple RPM max is a useless rule.
BINGO.. We have a WINNER
Are they things you can do to improve.. YES... are they legal? Not really
***Added compression gives more torque,, doing that one can run less gear and in turn it should add to MPH
***Added Timing,, regardless of how much and little bit will help.. these engines are very very retarded on timing
***Adding springs stronger than a std 10.8 set if actually hurt it.
***Working with the carb on the flow bench and working out the balance on jetting will help the most... If done correctly it should pass tech :)
***Loosening up the clearances should help.. BUT you can do the samething by tieing the engine down and let it run and run.. heat cycling is the best thing you can do to these engines..
*** Average best found RPM's on this configeration is 4600-4900 regardless of the test RPM's the track is using

THESE ENGINES REGARDLESS IF RAN WITH GOVENORS OT NOT STILL NEED TO BE ATLEAST SPOT CHECKED

There are going to be limits , provided by the governor, carb and muffler.
Yes i do think they could be exploited . It will be costly and the gains may be minimal .
Trying to invent a new rule set i believe is going to be detrimental when you can use the SPG or the rule set there using in Pennsylvania .
Governor intact and rpm limit will keep things pretty much in check .
A claim rule would not be a bad thing , i like the idea of the track claiming the engine with them giving you a new one in the box . That kinda keeps the personalities out of it .
Where can I find a copy of the SPG rules? Is this the same thing as Southeastern Predator Group rules. If so have the 2015 rules but didn't know if it is the same.

Thank you. I went back and looked at them again. Will your holy moses carb meet these rules. And will all the cl cams and out of the box carbs and cams fit the rules. I realize you may not get the performance but would the out of the box stuff be legal.
I didn't know when the last revision was on the SPG rules.

Or; every week, 1st place finisher has to trade motors with the 5th place finisher. You'd have to sign a waiver, and if you refuse the exchange, you could no longer race in that class.
I’ve been saying this for quite a while. Do a draw for the first place motor after the race.
They won’t hop it up if they know they have to race against it next week.

Back