Predator or Clone Racing for the Hobbyist?

Been racing with my kid the last 3 years. 2yrs flat, now we're in wing karts. He's losing interest. But I ran some DNQ stuff this year, and I want to race more of he's not going to. I got his old .083 Scythe. We're just outside Charlotte.

Should I go Clone racing or look to the predator classes? Pros and Cons?

I know predator is cheaper, a little less serious. But my concern is rule variance from track to track. Where I think clones are more standardized. Is that correct?

Been racing with my kid the last 3 years. 2yrs flat, now we're in wing karts. He's losing interest. But I ran some DNQ stuff this year, and I want to race more of he's not going to. I got his old .083 Scythe. We're just outside Charlotte.

I know predator is cheaper, a little less serious. But my concern is rule variance from track to track. Where I think clones are more standardized. Is that correct?
Clones can be different from track to track as well. I.e. nka, akra, or wka. I am not sure how serious you want to get but with any class you need to look at tire inventory as well. I would venture to say that a typical Saturday night racer in the predator class doesn't have nearly as many different sets of tires as a clone racer. Then figure in all the different types of track surface plus all the preps and cuts you need to be competitive in clones.

Clones can be different from track to track as well. I.e. nka, akra, or wka. I am not sure how serious you want to get but with any class you need to look at tire inventory as well. I would venture to say that a typical Saturday night racer in the predator class doesn't have nearly as many different sets of tires as a clone racer. Then figure in all the different types of track surface plus all the preps and cuts you need to be competitive in clones.
SE basically all NKA, few are WKA but they utilize the NKA rules as far as clones.

At the local level, Predator should be cheaper (if they enforce some basic rules.) You may or may not be able to run that same engine competitively at other area tracks due to rules variances. The initial price of the two engines (Predator vs clone) are significant, as are rebuilds and frequency.

That said, simply avoid any class that pays big money to win -- that's what brings out the guys with trailers full of tires. The top dogs generally don't enter the Predator classes unless there's some money on the line. It also helps if the local track uses a different tire (rule) for the Predator class than for their money classes -- this keeps the top guys from testing and scuffing tires in the Predator classes.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I dont know much about the predator class but have noticed around here I have seen tracks that only allow you to run one set of tires all night.

The three closest tracks to you will be Woodleaf, Liberty and Coleridge.

Woodleaf runs on friday nights but does not run predator motors.
Liberty runs a ducar/predator class and the teching of that class is really good and they have a good kart count in that class.
Coleridge runs only predator and has a big kart count and the teching of that class is really good. There is a lot of close racing.

All three tracks are really good and you could have a lot of fun in the predator class at Liberty or Coleridge.

The three closest tracks to you will be Woodleaf, Liberty and Coleridge.

Woodleaf runs on friday nights but does not run predator motors.
Liberty runs a ducar/predator class and the teching of that class is really good and they have a good kart count in that class.
Coleridge runs only predator and has a big kart count and the teching of that class is really good. There is a lot of close racing.

All three tracks are really good and you could have a lot of fun in the predator class at Liberty or Coleridge.
Trying to sway the operator of Coleridge to switch to Ducar next year and it will probably happen or be predator/Ducar like liberty

Back