Predator RPM on and off stand

Cakalac

In setting the predator RPM limit on the stand does it make sense to set it at 4850 to not go over 5000 when the motor is only turning 45-4600 on the track? Why would you flirt with over 5000 setting the rpm at 4850 when you are not turning the motor but 4600? I'm new to predator and not and engine guy so I'm trying to make sense of this.

Is there any advantage hp wise to do that though and risk going over my 5000 limit? I'm trying to understand does my engine produce anymore power at setting it at 4850 on the stand and racing it at 4600rpm v/s setting it at 4700 on stand to not flirt with 5000 rpm rule and racing it at 4600?

All the predators I have dynoed including the winning engines at the two tracks I tech have a 5500 rpm max rule. When they come off the track the tacos read anywhere from 4800 to 4950. Peak horsepower is actually a tad bit less than that

All the predators I have dynoed including the winning engines at the two tracks I tech have a 5500 rpm max rule. When they come off the track the tacos read anywhere from 4800 to 4950. Peak horsepower is actually a tad bit less than that
So with that said Don, would you set the governor on mine at 4700 and leave it? We were trying to get it at around 4850 but i went to 5077 when I did that after the race. I have a 5000 rule. Gov must be hooked up but doesn't have to surge. I've yet to turn more than 4650 on the track.

I can’t actually tell you exactly where to set it. However I will share with you one situation that I recall. One racer did not have a tack on his go kart for me to check at the end of the event. So I put the go cart on the stand. His RPMs only registered on the stand at 4850. He won the race so I really don’t know what he turned in regards to being on the racetrack but I do know his RPMs were not above4850

Do you guys free rev these things on the stand like that often to check? I would think that is absolutely KILLING your valve springs.... I will never free rev an engine above 3500rpm. These chinese springs are soft and weak already!

Do you guys free rev these things on the stand like that often to check? I would think that is absolutely KILLING your valve springs.... I will never free rev an engine above 3500rpm. These chinese springs are soft and weak already!

Yes and I assure you I've asked the same exact question and I am not a motor guy. Lol. I don't know another way to set the RPM though. I think the rule set at 5000 is silly. I think 5300 minimum and the other tracks around my place are 5500.

So with that said Don, would you set the governor on mine at 4700 and leave it? We were trying to get it at around 4850 but i went to 5077 when I did that after the race. I have a 5000 rule. Gov must be hooked up but doesn't have to surge. I've yet to turn more than 4650 on the track.
I'm kinda new to the sport, my grandson races a champ kart, and ours "surges" as well, but a few others we race against don't surge. Our little guys are RPM restricted at 4000, stock predator out of the box. We have no rule that the karts have to surge. I have asked this of several other and haven't been able to get good accurate info re: the governors on these things. What does the surge or no surge matter? Are we at a disadvantage somehow because ours does? How do you stop it or make it? I'd appreciate any accurate feedback. Thanks

I haven’t figured out the “some surge and some don’t” thing yet. I do know there is no difference between those that do and those that don’t. To get a dq for not surging when in the proper rpm range is a mistake on behalf of the person making the call.

The surge is usually indicative of a very lean main jet in my findings. Swap the jets out and it will likely go away.
I ran 2 features on a new spark plug the other weekend. When I pulled it out if looked as if it came right out the box brand new. There was zero soot on it. I thought it would have at least shown some wear after 35 laps. Would this indicate lean?

Back