Predator rpm

bullerman

A friend of mine and some of his buddies have been running at a backyard track. I went and looked at it Sunday. It is a nice little track. They all have predators. Think most of them are stock except for headers. I think I am going to buy one and just run it out of the box. I will leave the governor on but adjust on it. Thinking about doing the 5500 rpm on the stand thing. Will this put me at 4900 or so on the track. Is that what I should be looking for on recall. The track is probably a little more than a 1/10 or so. I am think a 15/65 to start.is 4900 about right for box stock?

A friend of mine and some of his buddies have been running at a backyard track. I went and looked at it Sunday. It is a nice little track. They all have predators. Think most of them are stock except for headers. I think I am going to buy one and just run it out of the box. I will leave the governor on but adjust on it. Thinking about doing the 5500 rpm on the stand thing. Will this put me at 4900 or so on the track. Is that what I should be looking for on recall. The track is probably a little more than a 1/10 or so. I am think a 15/65 to start.is 4900 about right for box stock?
Racing it at 4800 to 4900 is correct, BUT setting it at 5500 on the stand has nothing to do with rpm it will race at , Gearing combo will dictate that If you can pretty much flatfoot it 15 with a 65 might be little much 62 ish should be closer, If your out of throttle some you should be in the ball park, I can give you solid info for 1/8th mile momentum flatfoot track here 18/61 is good combo, I doubt any backyard track is making that much momentum.

Don’t be to concerned with getting to 5500 on the stand. I have teched many engines on the stand that only turned 5200 and their tach showed 4900/5050 on the track. I had one feature winner that had no tach and only turned 4950 on the stand. I confiscated his engine and gave him a new one. It was his 3rd feature win. The engine was legal when I inspected it.

Your right Ken. It is not a momentum track. I think if it was prepared right it might be close but I still think you would have to let off a little. None of the guys have a tach so they don't have any idea what they are turning. If 4900 is about what I should be racing is what I need to know. I will adjust to that.
Don it sounds like that guy happen to get a special motor. Bet you were surprised when you went into it.
Thanks guys for the advice.

Actually,. It wasn't anything special. I always Dyno first and it was right there with the rest of the ones I took. Tires and set up,!!!!

Nobody has considered your size compared to the other guys and such . 1/10 mile track , depending on how tight the corners are and how long are the straights , I would consider even maybe a 13 or 14 driver , just to see how it pulls you from starts and out of the corners . Your going to have to do some testing at the track to find its best . These engines seem to have good low end torque out of the box . I have a friend that runs on a similar sized track at 375# and finds his likes turning about 5100 . Testing is the key to get the best results .

Racing it at 4800 to 4900 is correct, BUT setting it at 5500 on the stand has nothing to do with rpm it will race at , Gearing combo will dictate that If you can pretty much flatfoot it 15 with a 65 might be little much 62 ish should be closer, If your out of throttle some you should be in the ball park, I can give you solid info for 1/8th mile momentum flatfoot track here 18/61 is good combo, I doubt any backyard track is making that much momentum.

What Gearing would be a good starting point for Sr champ Predator for hunterstown?

Back