Predator rpm

I’m running a box stock predator 5000 rpm rule it hits 4965 on the stand but I’m hitting the rev limiter at 4658 on the track. I was wanting to see what everyone else’s is hitting on the track vs on the stand.

You can change tension on the governor spring by moving it to a different hole in the governor arm to raise the rpm where it hits the governor. Experiment a little.

Yes. You see the big governor arm with the long metal linkage rod attatched to it? Notice all the holes in it, and the spring attached? Try the spring placed in different holes, effectively stretches that spring, or reduces the tension if put in a different hole. It seems to me that adding tension will add rpm.

To me the rpm you turn on the track isnt far off from where I would think it would run at. Is there a reason you are wondering what other people are turning? Are they pulling away from you or turning faster lap times?

Last edited:
Most say they are around 150 rpm difference stand vs track I’m a little over 300 it’s a pretty fast track around 55 mph and I’m hitting the gov going into turn 3 for at least a second when I do they gain or pull on me I changed a tooth on the rear gear and didn’t hit the rev but I was slower around the track

Most say they are around 150 rpm difference stand vs track I’m a little over 300 it’s a pretty fast track around 55 mph and I’m hitting the gov going into turn 3 for at least a second when I do they gain or pull on me I changed a tooth on the rear gear and didn’t hit the rev but I was slower around the track
Ya if your hitting the gov at 4650 that's min 200 to low , try what post #4 recommends, as long as your rpm on stand is legal don't worry about how it compares to racing rpm.

I find it intteresting that nobody could, Or wouuld, answer your question.

Wouldn't it be better to hit that limiter before the end of the straight? Should help getting around the corners and better acceleration down the straights.

Hits the limiter early, I wonder what's causing that. On the stand there's no load, on the track there is a load, why would that cause the limiter to engage very? What causes the limiter to engage?

Do you know if you have the same gear as most people? Are you keeping up with the front of the pack?
Ive been to this track twice. The 1st night there I was 3rd in the heat and 1st in the race out of 10 karts the second time I was 2nd in the heat but I got beat by a kart with an aluminum flywheel so I started on the pole for the race I didn’t know this until I got to the grid for the race that’s when I changed the gearing and went up on the air psi trying to get some more speed which slowed me down I ended up 5th out of 13 karts
Ya if your hitting the gov at 4650 that's min 200 to low , try what post #4 recommends, as long as your rpm on stand is legal don't worry about how it compares to racing rpm.
im going to give the spring a try ive been told by others that is my problem as long as I can still keep it under 5000 on the stand I’ll let everyone know how it goes if I get to make it to the track this weekend

Makes me wonder why these engines were not designed as fuel injected. even 2 stroke boat motors have be EFI for 15 years...motocross.

I wonder what the hold up is.

Sure would be nice to build a motor that makes wads of power, then put a 5k chip in the computer and gear it to do its job.

Makes me wonder why these engines were not designed as fuel injected. even 2 stroke boat motors have be EFI for 15 years...motocross.

I wonder what the hold up is.

Sure would be nice to build a motor that makes wads of power, then put a 5k chip in the computer and gear it to do its job.
Because they are chinese junk with no quality control! Not a race engine by any standard!

But what about the Honda, Briggs, Kohler, Tecumseh?? Why havent they went to EFI?? They are the only mass produced engines that still have carbs.

Add complicated , troublesome and hard to repair .
Mostly cost . Over 200 dollars wotrh of electronics on a 99 dollar engine

I just dont agree. Motorcycles didnt raise dramatically when it was released. Automobiled didnt raise dramatically when it was released. Tractors didnt raise dramatically when it was released.

The trend could have been followed...years ago.

Back