Predator rpm

Just put my box stock motor on. Going to try and adjust it for 5400 on the stand. First cranking and running was 3900 rpm. Adjust the throttle stop screw only and I am at 5111.
The governor is supposed to be on and operational. How do i adjust for 5400 with the governor still on? Will the motor still surge at that rpm on the stand. Thanks

Yeah the engine will still surge. is your rpm rule 5500? You can set it at 5400 with the throttle screw. if you run out of adjustment you may have to move the springs to different holes and adjust the screw again. You shouldn’t be turning the engine over around 4800-4900 on the track if it’s a true box stock.

Just put my box stock motor on. Going to try and adjust it for 5400 on the stand. First cranking and running was 3900 rpm. Adjust the throttle stop screw only and I am at 5111.
The governor is supposed to be on and operational. How do i adjust for 5400 with the governor still on? Will the motor still surge at that rpm on the stand. Thanks
leave it alone if its stock you only want to ever hit 4800 rpm. when that motor gets hot and when it gets a few races on it you will need to screw that screw IN. the motors get better and freer when they get good and broke in. that motor will be faster in the middle of the season.

Its good to leave a little breathing room in your on-track rpm because a lot of the time the track will get faster as the race goes on. We raced a 100 lapper box stock race and early on we were hitting the governor going deep into corner entries. Perfect, until it wasnt. The track got faster and faster as the race went on and by the end of the race we were on the governor at the middle of the straights and getting passed by karts not yet on their governors. Dropping the axle teeth would have been the ultimate answer if we knew ahead of time.

I have heard that you are well outside the power band at the point you hit the governor. So, I would think that you don't want to even come close to actually hitting it.

Back