Predator RPM

I am running a predator 212 with 10.8 valves springs, header pipe with rlv muffler, oil sensor and govener delete, and air filter adapter with top plate. I am running a 14-60 gear and I am turning over 5550 rpm and most people in my class are turning 5300 and running around the same gear as me. I don’t know why I am turning such high rpm. Anyone know? I am fine with turning that rpm but most people say I should be losing power by 5500rpm for sure but my motor still seems to be strong. I am so comfused why I am coming across something like this. I know my tach is right. Also the internals of the motor are 100 percent stock.

I dropped the gear in the back to 59 to see what would happen and motor turned 5480 but it was sluggish of the hit so I went back to 60 and it ran way better snd turned 5610 in feature

I am running a predator 212 with 10.8 valves springs, header pipe with rlv muffler, oil sensor and govener delete, and air filter adapter with top plate. I am running a 14-60 gear and I am turning over 5550 rpm and most people in my class are turning 5300 and running around the same gear as me. I don’t know why I am turning such high rpm. Anyone know? I am fine with turning that rpm but most people say I should be losing power by 5500rpm for sure but my motor still seems to be strong. I am so comfused why I am coming across something like this. I know my tach is right. Also the internals of the motor are 100 percent stock.
As far as why with same gearing, your kart is rolling better " More Free " making better momentum, tires match conditions better, more air maybe, not binding, smoother on the wheel. With this happening you should be running away from the ones only turning 5300 rpm, If your not your gearing is wrong.

I would say my kart probably rolls way better than most the people in my class. I do a whole lot of maintenance and cleaning on my kart every week and I do a bunch of stuff to my clutch and i get everything to roll really good

I would say my kart probably rolls way better than most the people in my class. I do a whole lot of maintenance and cleaning on my kart every week and I do a bunch of stuff to my clutch and i get everything to roll really good
It's not only that, tires gotta be closer, better throttle control, are you beating the guy's only turning 5300 every run ?

I went from 6th to 3rd in 2 laps in the feature last weekend and ran 3rd for over 10 laps and I made a bad judgment call on trying to pass the 2nd place guy and I hopped up on his LR and they made me go to tail back. That was in a 13 kart field. I would say if I was a better driver I would be even better for sure but for this being only my 3rd time racing ever I am doing s very good job and I am doing good with my tires. When I went to tailback I started passing the people in the back pretty fast but there was only 2 laps left when I went to tailback and I finished 8th out of 13

I'm only confirming to answer your RPM question, because IF your turning almost 300 rpm more on the same gearing as them BUT NOT out running them, the biggest reason( unless your making a lot of mistakes ) there able to make up that momentum difference is there in the proper rpm zone at 5300 and still pulling, while your out of the zone no longer pulling.
If I'm you after hearing more details, next race I'm pulling 3 teeth off the rear while making sure everything else is as close to what you've been doing and confirming results.

I like do that but I dropped 1 tooth and the kart already felt slow off the hit and out of the corners it was sluggish and it wouldn’t make up on the straight to make it worth running a 59. I would easily pass the people in front if I was a good driver. It is only my 3rd time out and I am not very good at running the top of the track on the straights. I know I could catch up to everyone if I was driving my line better. I am trying to get up higher on the track but I need to do better. I will make some changes to the kart and to My driving and see what happens

If indeed you know for sure others are on same gearing that you are turning 250 rpm less, and you know for sure your motor is not cheated up, at some point you must be hitting your Mark's making better momentum or that could not happen, if you know for sure it's you holding you back work on you not the kart, that will make more momentum and increase rpms even more and you'll have to pull gear, I'd say when you pulled the 1 tooth something else was off causing your momentum loss and your thinking it was only the gearing change.

I know for sure 100% that my motor is legal. It was a winter project that I did. All you can do inside the motor is remove govener and low oil sensor and add the header pipe top plate and air filter adapter and 10.8 springs and that’s it.

I know for sure 100% that my motor is legal. It was a winter project that I did. All you can do inside the motor is remove govener and low oil sensor and add the header pipe top plate and air filter adapter and 10.8 springs and that’s it.
That eliminates 1 of the 2, do you know 100 % the ones turning 5300 are on same gearing as you.

I don’t know that all of them are on the same gear as me but I can assure you that I know at least half the field hangs around 5300 and is on a 14-60 same gear as I am

Not know what gearing the other guys are running you could be comparing apples to oranges. If you are turning those rpms while on the track youve gone quite a bit past the Predators torque range. You mention getting on the throttle which means youre also getting off the throttle. Is everyone else doing the same? Again could be an apples/oranges thing. The tracks here are wide open tracks, you do not lift, except a couple of small loose tracks we see, and on those we push the karts we come up on so we dont have to lift. Its fatal to take your foot out of it with these motors. The karts you passed, where were you on the track when you did pass?

I dont always complelty lift any in a turn unless the track is very loose or if my tires are off. I will usually just blip the throttle but after exiting the corner my kart was semming sluggish with the 59 was what I meant. I usually pass going into a turn, after a turn on the straight and try to pass on the bottom. My kart is fast enough that if someone is hugging down to the bottom I will just go up top and pass them. Alot of the people that are helping me with my kart dont like the fact that i will frequently pass up top since my kart is fast enough compared ot some karts that dont go as fast but i try to pass right before a turn or right after. Sometimes this track is a flatfoot track but every one in a while it is to loose or to tight for me to stay in it all the way around the turn. It seems most get out of the throttle at somepoint in a turn for just a second.

Just a second is a big deal with almost no horsepower to get you rolling again. Myself I would work on getting rid of those blips and getting the rpm down into the more useful range.

Back