Predator stock timing

bullerman

I have noticed that the SPG rules you have to run the stock flywheel but timing is non tech. I have read that the box stock timing is around 26 degrees out of the box. It seems all the CL cams state timing should be 32 degrees. Since the CL cams are legal is that why they made the timing a non tech so you could get the use out of the cam. Still trying to get a set of rules for the new track here. One of other tracks that we are looking at about the same rules says stock flywheel with stock key. They do allow the CL cams there. Thanks

Either way if they say stock key , thats not going to comply .
With another track nearby aligning with them will be beneficial .
The added timing will utilize the full potental of the cl style cams .
Those cams are still benifical at the reduced timing .

Last edited:
If you have to run the stock flywheel and stock key that wouldn't be out of the box stock timing. I reread their rules they are going by. Once agian I assumed. Got in trouble with that alot. You would have thoght by now being 73 I would have figured it out. But not yet. This is what they have for flywheel rules. I assumed on the key part. Their rules say

Stock OEM flywheels only for stock classes. No billet aluminum or light flywheels allowed in stock classes.
No alterations to flywheel allowed. No timing adjustments.

When I saw timing no adjustments allowed. I assumed they meant you have to run the stock flywheel and the key that is in it out of the box. Maybe I explained myself a little better. If I did say this right could you tell me why it won't comply. This track is just getting started and I am not sure who wrote the rules but this is what they have.

I don't know. It seems clear. I don't know if it's a good rule but that's what they run right now. I like it but I like the SPG rules to. I like the timing non tech rule. Wouldn't have to worry about that plus I think you would get better use out of the cam. This is just what I think.

Ha ha yea , assuming , speaking too quick , or with misconception are a traits shared by most pepole .
So if spg rules allow any timing and the other track dosen't then they won't be suitable at both tracks .
Steping away from out of the box or limited rule changes .
Will allow an unknown element in , as far as engines .
I like modified racing personally , money is a driving factor in both forums of engines .

I think money is probably a driving factor in any kind of racing. Like I said I marrying to help a guy get up a set of rules for the Predator class. I was just looking at the flywheel rule. Would like to see the track already running to go to the SPG flywheel type rule. I would like to see both have the same rules. There are some rules in the SPG rules they don't have that I think I would leave alone. Thanks for the comments.

Keep this in mind. When the clone was allowed to move the timing and add an aftermarket cam, things began to break including flywheels.

That's also why rpm rules would be good. If the motor can't turn morn than 5400 or 5500 on the stand I believe you would be safe on the track. I don't know what kind of rpm a stock predator flywherl is suppose to be safe to. I like the rpm rule but no one around here does it. The one track that will be closest to the new one says no alterations to flywheel which to me means as it came out of the box and no alterations to timing which means to me stock key. We are looking at making this the rule. Should be easy to check. Really appreciate all the information. I am a old flathead racer
I knew a little about them but I am not up on the predators. If the track takes off more I may get another kart. Right now I am just trying to help the new track owner with some rules.

The only way to regulate the timing is identify a dimension on the stock flywheel, specify stock unaltered, correctly installed, specific flywheel and unaltered key meeting .XXX dimensions. After all of that the timing must meet a measured timing spec, this prevents cherry picking and mixing parts, allow +/- 1 degree.

I have a gauge I designed back in the clone days when we were on stock timing. It is a dial indicator that adapts to the sparkplug hole. Position the flywheel to a specific point and read the dial indicator. Go to the chart and get the timing. I use it on my Dyno all the time when I am checking a customer's engine or if the flywheel slipped.

Back