Predator valve spring explanation

I'm asking here, could you not come up with a method on testing springs based on the motors you've torn down already, that you know were not messed with ? And everyone's springs need marked. Sounds to me like If it came from a builder we know it's Illegal, From what I'm hearing I'd be considering making a trip to Cliff's and buying a bunch of seals with serial numbers on them.
Please post the guidelines a clone spring must fall under ? we all know about the 10.8 lb weight test what else ?
Then what would be so different from the springs coming with the motors ?
haven't been around long! dont know where or how big of races you tech but for a local Saturday night race keep entry fees super low, and do a engine swap style thing, track keeps up with who got whos, race then original owner gets his back? would something like that even work? just shooting from the hip with that one!

haven't been around long! dont know where or how big of races you tech but for a local Saturday night race keep entry fees super low, and do a engine swap style thing, track keeps up with who got whos, race then original owner gets his back? would something like that even work? just shooting from the hip with that one!
I could see something like that working, If it was done right out the gate but not after the class has grown so much, I don't tech anything I'm just advocating for NO rule change somehow.

Last edited:
Check out the Central Iowa Predator Kart Racing page and their rules on facebook. There is an engine claim and also a tire claim. As long as you get people to actually claim an engine this will work. Its when people shy away from it that it then becomes "something you dont do". As long as first is claimed every night and generally second or even 3rd this will keep the big spenders out. This class gets close to or over 20 karts a night now and just started this year. Just something for you to look at also and may help with tech since the claimed engine has to be legal as well as the person claiming if they swap so you will get to see a lot of engines.

I know it's an old thread that i'm replying to, but I've dealt first hand with people ruining the box stock predator class. I was raised to follow the rules in life and I carried that along with racing. If a track is going to run a BOX STOCK predator class, keep it as BOX STOCK. When these race promoters decide it's a great idea to allow removing the governor, or add a weenie pipe, or "stage 1" kit, billet flywheel, fuel pump, valve springs etc. You, as the race promoter, have failed all of us regarding the box stock predator class. Why allow anything other than what the class is called, BOX STOCK? I've been involved with racing for nearly 25 years, came from a motocross racing background and decided to get my son and I a kart to run this BOX STOCK class as it was an affordable way to race without the risk level on 2 wheels. It was supposed to be a class with everyone running the same engine, which was supposed to be the skill of driver/setup vs. money and motor, right? After this first year of racing karts, it will most likely be the last. Race promoters need to stop catering to certain individuals. A BOX STOCK class should be just that, BOX STOCK. It's a $99 engine, when it fails they can go buy another. Leave the governor, air box, exhaust, valve springs and flywheel BOX STOCK. As a race promoter or a tech at the track, you may lose some friends, but the integrity of the BOX STOCK class is far more important than little Johnny and his dad being angry after they get DQ for not following the rules.

If the track keep rpm at 5000 max . Cheating don't help. I have won as many predator races as anyone never did anything but add oil. Tires tires and did I mention tires

Back