Predator

Didn't turn over 55 just didn't surge tryed it 2 times got dq got back to trailer an it surged what wood cause this

Governor springs. However, I have seen many that don’t surge. If you are within the rpm limits on call back on the tach of 4800 to 5250 it shouldn’t matter if it surges or not. What’s it supposed to do surge on the track lol

Don there are tracks in this area that specify the motor must surge when checked in tech at max RPM. The only reason I can figure they do this is because they want proof the governor is working.

If the governor wasn’t working there would be no control of the rpm. You wouldn’t be able to set it to stop at 5500. Case in point. Original poster has his set to not turn more than 5500 and it doesn’t. If he didn’t have it set to stop at 5500 the governor wouldn’t be working. The other thing to consider is the max rpm turned on the tach recall. If the governor is set at 5500 the governor will not let the engine turn more than 49/51 on the track depending on gearing. So in that case the governor is working. Dumb rule

I agree Dumb rule who cares ( certainly not me if I'm a competitor in the class ), if they don't surge and turn 5500 they make NO power there anyway, and If you feel they are do your job as the tech guy and open it up and confirm why.

So how do you make one surge? Our track requires that it surge on the stand or get dq’d. I have the same issue as the OP. It surged one weekend but now it won’t.

I think changing the spring attachment location on the governor arm (ever notice how many holes are in the arm?} changes the surge point. Weaker spring (hole location in arm nearer the carb) makes it surge easier. Stretch the spring to a further hole and it will eventually bypass the governor.

I think changing the spring attachment location on the governor arm (ever notice how many holes are in the arm?} changes the surge point. Weaker spring (hole location in arm nearer the carb) makes it surge easier. Stretch the spring to a further hole and it will eventually bypass the governor.
I’ve tried all of that and none of that helped. I have another engine that surges fine. I took the spring from that engine and set it up exactly like the one that surges, even swapped carburetors and it won’t surge. My next step is to swap the internal gear.

Back