Predator212 Paramotor Engine

jefft

I know this is a karting forum,and I hope i'm not out of line asking this here,but you guys are the experts I am planning on building a clone 4 stroke for a paramotor. The engine will be required to run at sustained high and mid rpm's and must be Reliable. My horsepower requirement is 17+ to provide enough thrust with a 51" propeller. A poly rib belt reduction will keep prop speeds at 3000 rpm so peak engine horsepower can be in the 8000 range. This has been done with some success with gx200's in Europe. I think the Predator would be an excellent platform for this. What specific parts combination would achieve this? Thanks , Jeff.

might help to know which predator 212 you get out of the box. Old style,Hemi or the latest and greatest nobody knows whats in it. Good luck with what you draw!!

In that your betting your life on this, I highly recommend ALL internal aftermarket components including the crankshaft. I don't think anybody has done a crank for the 212 yet, but you can de-stroke it (providing you have a 'new' Predator') with the aftermarket 196 crankshaft, of which would favor higher rpm's also. I assume you have a weight limit and cannot utilize larger displacement power sources(?)

Actually...I have been enamored w/ the idea of parasailing myself, except....I don't care for airplanes! :)

I do have a no compromise policy where internals are concerned. The fact is, the engine is generally shut off at altitude for descent. The paraglider wings have a good glide ratio. Although an engine failure is not a good thing it is usually manageable. I read on another thread that the Zh8 14cc head works well on the Predator. So if I go with a billet rod, flywheel, camshaft (suggestions),chromemoly pushrods, 26 lb springs, guide plate,
ratio rockers?, header ( will need a muffler) and 22m mikuni will this get me close to required hp?I value your input The gx200 has been flown with a belt reduction at 12 hp.175 lb pilot.

Just get you a rotax for a plane, a predator would be like flying a plane built by Harley Davidson........
Funny you should say that. They are flying planes now with hopped up Generac V twins. I guess the reality of it is a Harley is just a radial engine with a bunch of cylinders cut off to fit in a motorcycle.
So, Anybody else?

If interested google Bailey Aviation V5 Paramotor Engine.Single cylinder 195cc 2 valve sohc 4 stroke 35 lbs. 20.5 hp @ 8000 rpm.
I read a thread from 11 29 2013 titled 3" Predator? sneaks12303 wrote. "btw The stock pred piston with a ZH8 will gitcha 17+ hp with a decent cam. "

I would not have a problem using a Predator for any ground vehicle. I just could not recommend a cheap engine for flying. It's like using a hair dryer in the bath tub. No a good idea.

The ZH8 is only one number for the Honda 14cc head.
There can be many numbers eg...ZF1 is also a honda 14cc head.
So look around you can find them all over.

I would not have a problem using a Predator for any ground vehicle. I just could not recommend a cheap engine for flying. It's like using a hair dryer in the bath tub. No a good idea.
Have a look at the Bailey engine. That is a Chinese engine that is imported, re-machined, and sold commercially. The majority of these Paramotor engines are 2 strokes made in China, Italy, Germany, but they are 2 strokes and subject to sudden stops. Rotax has had a disclaimer from the get go that their engines can suddenly quit and should not be used for aircraft even though they are designed and manufactured for that exact purpose.

The ZH8 is only one number for the Honda 14cc head.
There can be many numbers eg...ZF1 is also a honda 14cc head.
So look around you can find them all over.

If you use the ZF1 be ready to hog out the ports as they are tiny. Valve size is the same.
These are all 14cc #1 Honda castings

Top left ZE1, Top right ZF1, bottom left ZH8,

Picture002-1.jpg
[/URL]

Avoid the predator - if you are flying, you will help your odds of survival by buying a honda gx-200

Here's the problem though - you aren't going to get 17 reliable HP out of a 200cc motor. You might get there with som mods, but I wouldnt trust it with my life!

Avoid the predator - if you are flying, you will help your odds of survival by buying a honda gx-200

Here's the problem though - you aren't going to get 17 reliable HP out of a 200cc motor. You might get there with som mods, but I wouldnt trust it with my life!
I appreciate all the concern. The fact is you are flying with an open parachute. They are free flown all the time without power by launching off of mountains. So shifting gears, what can a genuine Honda then say be reliably built to produce how much horsepower.[video]http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=team+eggmotor+first+flight+re drive&sm=12[/video]
Watch this

Does it have to be in the 200cc range, why not get a gx390 its a bit heavier but the power is already there, doesn't need to be dogged out.

GX390 69 lbs dry too heavy. GX270 55 lbs dry possible. You dont want much more than 60 lbs on your back including engine, cage, harness, and fuel the big blocks are out of range.

Back