Premier Stinger Seizing?

viice

Ran into an interesting issue this week where the engagement RPM on a stock (2 weekends on it) Premier Stinger Became super low and ultimate seized.
If I got on the brake, the motor would chug and chug and chug because the clutch was still engaged even at lower RPM's. It would even kill the engine if you tried to go slow enough.

I have the motor set to idle at 2100. Even lower at 1800 the issue still exists.
I'd have to drag the brake during the cautions just to be slow enough to not ram the kart ahead of me.

I tore the clutch down, all springs were intact, no mechanical interference otherwise. And it seemed to spin freely.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

How many teeth is the driver? On a stinger only the small drivers use a bushing correct? Under 13 teeth?

How many teeth is the driver? On a stinger only the small drivers use a bushing correct? Under 13 teeth?
Yes under 13 and its a bushing. They are infamous for seizing up as I see it most every weekend at our track. I purposely change rear gear on my sons kart to NOT run the junk bushing drivers. It doesn't seem to matter what lube you use they won't last and will start binding after a couple races

the bushing needs re-lubricated pretty much each race if not more .
some claim it needs soaked in hot oil the cooled ala oil impregnated .
bearing driver is best if you can get it in your tooth count .

We were running a 16 driver.
If I had to take a guess, since it wanted to spin freely. Is that we somehow got it super hot and weakened the springs.
They're $5 a pair, quick fix, probably good to have spares...

I am just trying to help and not trying to nit pick but are we talking about a stinger or another clutch? The stinger has three springs. Noram has two.

We were running a 16 driver.
If I had to take a guess, since it wanted to spin freely. Is that we somehow got it super hot and weakened the springs.
They're $5 a pair, quick fix, probably good to have spares...
No ; was it red and glowing ?
Yes ive seen that , driver had to raise up and lean away on cation laps finally started slowing down never stated dragging . So thats a bit odd .

Spares are good to have .

No ; was it red and glowing ?
Yes ive seen that , driver had to raise up and lean away on cation laps finally started slowing down never stated dragging . So thats a bit odd .

Spares are good to have .

Not red and glowing... but It no longer looks like the clutch I purchased. All the paint has baked off, nearly white now. Maybe this is normal for this clutch.
I don't think so unless they were installed incorrectly from the factory.

The stinger is the stongest drum clutch I know of .
Getting the right springs is the key , sounds like yours were to stiff .

Back