Premix ratio KT100

Outlaw26

I keep hearing that 8oz/1gal is what you want to mix on a KT100. I’ve always ran 32:1 4oz/1gal, on 2-strokes. Is 8oz/1gal necessary? Thoughts?? I plan on using Klotz or Blenzol.

I've always used 8oz to a gallon, haven't had any lubrication issues, 10oz sounds like a tad much. Would seem likely to increase odds of fouling a plug...not to mention stinking/smoking up the whole house of you're planning on warming it up at all at home...😆

I did a test once using my direct-drive Yamaha kart -- just kept adding oil. I was using Castrol R-40 at the time.

Bottom line: the more oil I added, the faster the kart ran (in lap time) -- right up to the point where it became difficult to not foul the spark plug, which happened at about 16oz/gallon.

PM

I did a test once using my direct-drive Yamaha kart -- just kept adding oil. I was using Castrol R-40 at the time.

Bottom line: the more oil I added, the faster the kart ran (in lap time) -- right up to the point where it became difficult to not foul the spark plug, which happened at about 16oz/gallon.

PM
Now that’s interesting!!

Hey Pete , what do you think is causing the performance gain , anything beyond just ring seal ? Maybe a lot of residual oil starts running the compression up, something at work there evidently.

Hey Pete , what do you think is causing the performance gain , anything beyond just ring seal ? Maybe a lot of residual oil starts running the compression up, something at work there evidently.

My gut feeling is that the entire piston is sealing better which might be improving the crankcase pumping efficiency. It's only a guess though.

Btw: On my direct drive Yamaha, I set that up with .0005" skirt clearance (yes: half a thousandths).

PM

Two things are required to be able to run that tight:

- the piston must have the correct (and enough) taper

- figuring out how to distort the cylinder for honing exactly how it will distort when the engine is assembled

The cool thing is, when the piston is that tight at the skirt, the piston and ring both last much longer.

PM

Straight Medicinal Grade Pale Pressed Castor

Also ran Yamalube R in excess of 10oz per gallon.

Burris Blend and Burris 50/50

Castrol Grand Prix Two Stroke Oil

Redline Two Stroke Kart Oil

Played with many combos over the years.

By far, the plain castor from a 55 gallon drum gave us best results and protection.

Bottled many a quart and gallon over a 21 year period 😉

I'm with Michael on that -- I always bought my castor at a pharmaceutical supply company -- this was back in the late 70s and well into the 80s (for the Open engines on methanol). It came in 1-gallon glass containers.

Personally though, I had better results using Castrol R-40 in gasoline (KT100 racing).

PM

My gut feeling is that the entire piston is sealing better which might be improving the crankcase pumping efficiency. It's only a guess though.

Btw: On my direct drive Yamaha, I set that up with .0005" skirt clearance (yes: half a thousandths).

PM
The more oil you add the leaner the fuel mixture.

Back