Prep smell control

jaymancds

Alright I'm stumped. How do you all handle prep without just completely smelling like prep for the rest of the day? I have a 30 minute window each day between work and college where I like to do some quick prep work, there is just one small problem, I reek of prep for the time I am at school. I wear nitrile gloves, I dont spill it, and I wash my hands twice after use.

Currently all I am doing is opening a quart container, using a syringe to pull prep out of the container, and then putting it into the tire, again wearing gloves, not spilling a drop. I then place the tire on my roller and leave.

How can I not smell like prep all night? It doesnt bother me, but I dont want my classmates to hate me for the rest of the semester.

Change your clothes before going to class.
That's where the prep smell is being absorbed the most.

When we would get home from the kart track - the very first thing that happened was all clothes hit the washing machine, it didn't matter if it was 4AM when we got home.
I'm around these chemicals and tires every day in the shop and it's become a routine when I go in the house.

The other alternative is to do your prep work very early AM -- ie before going to work for the day, or late at night (after school.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

83905F56-E676-4D10-A4E6-577BCD40EBE6.png

This is what I use !

Change your clothes before going to class.
That's where the prep smell is being absorbed the most.

When we would get home from the kart track - the very first thing that happened was all clothes hit the washing machine, it didn't matter if it was 4AM when we got home.
I'm around these chemicals and tires every day in the shop and it's become a routine when I go in the house.

The other alternative is to do your prep work very early AM -- ie before going to work for the day, or late at night (after school.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
I'll give this a shot and see if it helps. Any tricks for keeping the smell off your hands, seems to get through my gloves.

I dealt with this as i race out of the house garage and listening to the wife has narrowed my prep choices.

Stuff that doesn't smell as strong...
AT2
SST5
Soft as a grape
Whatever the blue is track tac sells but i wasn't a fan
SQS
Orange

Carlsons monster bite smells like winter green i love the smell of winter green, wife not so much.
BTGP is terrible to me
Real GP is terrible

I asked a Chemical engineer. (my son) why it goes through gloves. I already knew the answer but asked anyway.
His response," Dad, Do you really expect rubber gloves to stop the prep that is designed to penetrate rubber?!" It will also penetrate almost any petroleum based substance. Just at different rates of absorption.
https://web.csulb.edu/colleges/cnsm/safety/documents/gloves.htm

As a general rule each time you double the thickness of a glove , you quadruple the time it takes for the chemicals to penetrate through them.

When we were prepping tires, we used a bulky chemical glove and wax applicator pads. I think when we get back, we’re gonna try the paint brush and cup method* like Brian Carlson suggests. And, he sells them as well. Less mess.
* shameless plug, lol

I made the foolish mistake to get some green on the tires right before heading out and said forget the gloves I gotta get up to the grid. Was drinking a Pepsi later watching the races and never tasted the pepsi. That's how bad my hands smelled. Ever since then I've worn either the thickest nitrile gloves I can or a big chemical glove. I always use prep outside and have never had a problem with my clothes smelling.

I keep a yeti tumbler with me at the track and a few days after it smells like prep especially if we use GP or Krug no matter how much I wash it.

Keep your hands out of the prep!
Cheap disposable gloves are just about worthless when handling prep, especially if you're soaking your hands down in the junk!
Then consider how you take them off of your hands.

Use a natural horse hair paint brush and a small cup/pail. So many benefits -- for your tires AND you!
Best $5 you will ever spend!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Keep your hands out of the prep!
Cheap disposable gloves are just about worthless when handling prep, especially if you're soaking your hands down in the junk!
Then consider how you take them off of your hands.

Use a natural horse hair paint brush and a small cup/pail. So many benefits -- for your tires AND you!
Best $5 you will ever spend!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
How exactly does it benefit the tire?

I know my trailer smells like you dumped a gallon of GOAT right on the floor... it’s crazy. You got to walk by it coming up the walkway to the house and 4 out of 5 will come in an ask .. what’s in your trailer that stinks so bad.

Back