Prepping before a rain out

bomber315

So I'm new to this stuff of course, and I have a lot of random thoughts that pop into my head. Here is the first one:

So if you start prepping tires early in the week for a Sunday race, and then it ends up raining out. Do you start all over on prep or do you consider those tires ready to go when it stops raining or what?

Depends on how aggressive prep your using to start with and which tire, keep in mind you don't always need to prep during the week.

Different chemicals will work differently.

The net of it as far as my limited knowledge goes is tires need prepped to the point where if they were done more or softer and per track conditions they would not last through the race there prepped too much.

How and when preps quit working on tires depends on the tire and the prep. I think it's a question answered by yes, maybe, no and just depends.

... now the real folks who know can explain it I saw you post and felt like writing. ... :)

edit: just read the post above and think maybe I did ok with my thoughts on it

So I'm new to this stuff of course, and I have a lot of random thoughts that pop into my head. Here is the first one:

So if you start prepping tires early in the week for a Sunday race, and then it ends up raining out. Do you start all over on prep or do you consider those tires ready to go when it stops raining or what?
A lot will depend on what type of track you will be racing on. High bite track, you may not prep again that week. Medium you may only wipe a coat or 2. Low bite, might have been a good thing it rained, gives you another week to get wipes in the tire.
Also what prep, and tires, makes a difference as well.

Don't get discouraged over prep. It's a science of it's own and every chemical known to man has at some time been put on a kart tire. ... :)

Yup! I found out the hard way due to a leaking caliper hard line on the big race car that brake fluid will really soften a drag slick. Soft beyond usable.

Back