Prepping in a High bite vs New Tires (Maxxi’s)

Michael13

I Am only 3 races back in the sport from a 15year lay off. I am running maxxi’s on clay track in upstate SC on high bite track.
Can you “prep in” a higher bite on a tire or are new maxxi's at there hardest out of the box?

For this time of year I am told that a 75 inside roll could do well but doesn’t the inside roll drop the Duro just a few points?

And would ever not do an inside roll inside of a maxxi?

Also, are tires that Duro In The low 50’s considered a medium bite or high bite tire?

thank you

I would say at 75 cc internal on new maxxis would be for high bite, don't worry about the slight duro drop, I'm sure when Earl sees this he'll respond I'd trust what he says.
Which track is it ?

You wanna scuff maxxis and let them sit a bit before you prep them. But whether or not if 75cc is too much really depends on what kind of inside prep you're using. Some companies make hard track and wet track inside prep. For a track like that I would use a prep that conditions rather than a softening prep. A conditioning prep generally won't soften.

Last edited:
Great info As well. I have been using Palmetto‘a advanced inside roll On the last c3 sets of tires. Before I was using there original inside. I think the Advanced is not too aggressive if I was reading into it correctly.

You wanna scuff maxxis and let them sit a bit before you prep them. But whether or not if 75cc is too much really depends on what kind of inside prep you're using. Some companies make hard track and wet track inside prep. For a track like that I would use a prep that conditions rather than a softening prep. A conditioning prep generally won't soften.
This would be my approach as well for most high bite Maxxis tracks.
Scuff, prep with an internal that is specific for high bite (ie doesn't break the sidewalls down as much as harsher internals,) and let sit to cure out some.

OP, I would suggest our Medium Rare for your situation, but check with Matt @ Palmetto for his recommendation when using his preps.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Since you posted the other thread asking about how turning the dirt up would effect grip, I'm assuming your asking the questions here for being prepared to race the next event there, if so what were the details on your tires the 3 races you have ran ? and how did that work out ?

Yes racing promoter you are correct, I plan to race on jan 8. with the track being freshly turned Over. It is a hard and fast track with really good bite is what I was told by the track manager so that’s how I prepare. and it seemed to be.

1st race about 2 months ago I rolled 3 sets 75in 90out With inside original.
set 1 - high bite wiped 4 times a week with 3 days to cure
set 2 - high bite wiped 2 times a week then cured til race day
set 3- medium bite 3 times a week 4days cure until race. Did this set just in case there was slight moisture due to rain prior.
I practiced with the medium bite(3) and and qualified / race with set 1.

2nd race:
I practiced with to new set up maxxi’s that I rolled 50/75. Sets #4&5. To scuff in.(no the first sets 1-3 were only sanded prior to race for scuf, no track time)
I qualified with set 2 and again raced with set 1.

3rd race. I had rolled in 2 new sets 75/75 prior.
I practiced with both sets
qualified with set #3(medium) due to rain the day and a half before.
raced with set 5 that I practiced with. Only prep was a fire/blacksan/acrysol mix before hitting track each time.

now sets 1-3 I keep prepping each week to build volumn and be prepare. is this a proper procedure for those
sets 4-6 I have only applied 1 wipe of high bite a week to hold Duro? Is this also correct?

now my process that I have put together is based on what I have been reading about on here, internet and palmetto website to the best of my interpretation.

To HotelCalifornia point about letting them set up after roll and scuff, “I did not do that” with the first 3 sets. Yes I did not read correctly on that process.

Yes racing promoter you are correct, I plan to race on jan 8. with the track being freshly turned Over. It is a hard and fast track with really good bite is what I was told by the track manager so that’s how I prepare. and it seemed to be.

1st race about 2 months ago I rolled 3 sets 75in 90out With inside original.
set 1 - high bite wiped 4 times a week with 3 days to cure
set 2 - high bite wiped 2 times a week then cured til race day
set 3- medium bite 3 times a week 4days cure until race. Did this set just in case there was slight moisture due to rain prior.
I practiced with the medium bite(3) and and qualified / race with set 1.

2nd race:
I practiced with to new set up maxxi’s that I rolled 50/75. Sets #4&5. To scuff in.(no the first sets 1-3 were only sanded prior to race for scuf, no track time)
I qualified with set 2 and again raced with set 1.

3rd race. I had rolled in 2 new sets 75/75 prior.
I practiced with both sets
qualified with set #3(medium) due to rain the day and a half before.
raced with set 5 that I practiced with. Only prep was a fire/blacksan/acrysol mix before hitting track each time.

now sets 1-3 I keep prepping each week to build volumn and be prepare. is this a proper procedure for those
sets 4-6 I have only applied 1 wipe of high bite a week to hold Duro? Is this also correct?

now my process that I have put together is based on what I have been reading about on here, internet and palmetto website to the best of my interpretation.
No one can say for sure without experience racing there knowing the track, this method could be spot on or on the flip side no where close, there is no one size fits all you pick a method to use and it works, with that being said since track will be turned over since last raced and the fact it's later in the season and cooler, If you felt you were real close last race good chance you can wipe little more before the race and at the race, since your on Matt's prep he's pretty good on maxxis and most likely knows the track your racing, best advise for now would be get on the phone with Matt and confirm and take his advise. If Earl from So Co preps knows the track he would be a great source of solid info as well.

Good Luck !!

No one can say for sure without experience racing there knowing the track, this method could be spot on or on the flip side no where close, there is no one size fits all you pick a method to use and it works, with that being said since track will be turned over since last raced and the fact it's later in the season and cooler, If you felt you were real close last race good chance you can wipe little more before the race and at the race, since your on Matt's prep he's pretty good on maxxis and most likely knows the track your racing, best advise for now would be get on the phone with Matt and confirm and take his advise. If Earl from So Co preps knows the track he would be a great source of solid info as well.

Good Luck !!
Thank you sir

To HotelCalifornia point about letting them set up after roll and scuff, “I did not do that” with the first 3 sets. Yes I did not read correctly on that process.
You'll want to scuff them in that means a good 10 to 12 lap run on the track ( heat cycle ) either during a practice run , or better yet after a race is over scuff everything you have as they will get more cure time until raced.

Thank you sir
You'll want to scuff them in that means a good 10 to 12 lap run on the track ( heat cycle ) either during a practice run , or better yet after a race is over scuff everything you have as they will get more cure time until raced.
I will do that.

And I do feel like I’m close 😎, my kart feels good to me, but I’m sure I have a few more races on the chassis(2016 Charger Legacy) to go to truly know what my perfect feel is. But it’s feeling good and I’m having fun at 49 years old.

Thanks to you, Carl, Soco, Hotel, along with quite a few others that share some great info on here. I should have engaged you all 2 months ago.

I will do that.

And I do feel like I’m close 😎, my kart feels good to me, but I’m sure I have a few more races on the chassis(2016 Charger Legacy) to go to truly know what my perfect feel is. But it’s feeling good and I’m having fun at 49 years old.

Thanks to you, Carl, Soco, Hotel, along with quite a few others that share some great info on here. I should have engaged you all 2 months ago.
Probably more times than not If your lacking speed your not bit up enough.

For instance one night I had been wiping fts black bite.. a fairly potent bite adder on a red clay track..the track was grippy but my kart liked it until it got to the feature race and the dew actually caused the dirt to grip way harder. That was the point I was locked down. When the tires already had grip and I wiped just one more wipe of that stuff and my gear was too short. I won the heat race though

Back