Pressure splits

The workings of a kart on the track need looked at as Kepler would.

Post #1 is pre Kepler.
The farther you get away from Kepler the more momentum you loose. ???????????
... this is new to me right now. Does the fastest line now become Kepler with the addition of a changing velocity or would any change in velocity hurt efficiency?
... thunkin about that more then it's as much the line controlling velocity as velocity controlling the line. ????????????/
this is fun

... I think any way you choose to see it will remove any possibility of an apex. and again ?????????????

maybe???? ... :)

Last edited:
Did what I wrote lead you to think looking at air pressure exclusively effecting the contact patch proportionally in a complex tire differently and even an impossibility?

Kepler brought in new variables to the thinking of how our solar system worked.
Everything was still proportional but proportional based on additional variables.
The error spewed making people get stuck on air pressure verses contact patch verses load distribution is the same kind of error.
No matter how you bend observation to fit facts or fit facts to flawed observation the result is error.

... i'm lost.... ... :)

nawwwww it's just IMHO and ain't necessarily right anyway. ... :)

so if I’m at the track talking to a person I consider pretty knowledgeable and said person says ..... once my scale numbers are where I like them that’s that. I will never adjust cross with washers once scaled I just use air pressure..... should I buy into this or walk away ?

so if I’m at the track talking to a person I consider pretty knowledgeable and said person says ..... once my scale numbers are where I like them that’s that. I will never adjust cross with washers once scaled I just use air pressure..... should I buy into this or walk away ?
If that person is a top 3 driver most every race including series racing and he has tested cross and knows the sweet spots, there are guy's that do everything with tires from there, but not just air pressure tire choice and prep as well.

One hot shoe out here claimed he did the same all one summer .
He has always run up front no matter the chassis or venue .
I would say yea , very likely true .
Personally i have turned every screw , bolt , nut and washer on the thing trying to get faster on the same tires all to no avail .

so that’s a go.... cross can be changed with air? This is the part where that vein on the side of my head starts wiggling again ... lol ! Just when I think I’m getting a handle on it ... boom... game changer.

Cross can be changed with air, yes. But he scales to a certain cross, which most Pros will do. Once at those scale numbers, everything else is tires.

^ I'd go a step further and suggest that an experienced (and successful) racer will scale to get a baseline for the chassis, then work with tires from there. Seldom will you see the top guns on race day fooling with spindle washers - that's because they've already gotten their chassis to that sweet spot they want, and it's all fine(r) tuning from there.
While air pressure can certainly change cross percentages, that is not why we change air pressures.
Same with stagger. I regularly hear newbies to our sport say that they adjusted their stagger with air pressure. Now, while it certainly will change stagger, that's NOT how we do it!
The racer that's saying that he sets his cross with washers, then adjusts with air pressure from there, is simply saying that he finds his baseline/sweet spot with washers, then adjusts with air pressure as the night goes on (NOT to tune the cross, but to tune the tires themselves.) Higher air pressure = higher spring rates....air pressure on our kart tires is akin to shocks and springs on a suspended car. If the track bites up (gets faster on the stop watch/Mychron,) then typically you start looking for more roll speed in the tires (profile, air pressure, etc.)

Ok so when you have found your sweet spot adjust kart to track conditions... Am i understanding this correctly?? We are not a big name team... Never scaled once on any karts... We have adjusted by trial and error found our sweet spot and now we just change stagger or air pressure due to track conditions... Always top 3 or 4 at the tracks we run...

Ok so when you have found your sweet spot adjust kart to track conditions... Am i understanding this correctly?? We are not a big name team... Never scaled once on any karts... We have adjusted by trial and error found our sweet spot and now we just change stagger or air pressure due to track conditions... Always top 3 or 4 at the tracks we run...
Yes but that doesn't mean it's all on the same set of tires, prepped the same.

Sorry i should have added we carry 3 sets per kart and specific to that kart... Normally a light prep wiped on at heat and feature time... You will always chase perfect setup as track conditions change throughout the night...

Back