primary prep question

Paul, Most don't use ATF in their commercial mixes anymore. There are better oils, and red dye is cheap (well, not really, but you can make almost anything red with some dye.)
Many "red" preps are nothing even similar to old school "red".

As far as when to use what percentages:
Think of when you would want more oil in your tire (fresher rubber vs cured) internally & externally.
There's your answer.
Sometimes I think we complicate this stuff more than it really is. :)

Thank you

I'll dump a ton of oil into it to get the D21's and D24's and dunlop's going again for my grandson. ... :)

Might even try it on that one old special Goodyear I have

now if I can only win that tire rotisserie ???

This might/maybe/prol not help Prep sellers since the ATF angle has been entered.

You all seem to sell a red prep. Would you offer advice to your customers about maybe adding more, a specific amount maybe, of ATF when certain track conditions warrant it? If you don't I'm thinking it's then about wipe more on or use more rather then alter what your using. But I don't know and thought it might be interesting to see what answers might be given. ??????

Maybe something like x amount more usually for indoors or maybe wet conditions, or maybe a dust slick track, or maybe a sandy track? ?????? I'm into observed track and on track generalities which would indicate to me shifting adjustments and prep in a direction to solve problems.

I think and know from experience it's humanly impossible to remember all the do this to fix that and do that to fix this things, along with not having enough paper in the world or a big enough computer to store all needed info. ... :)

Might it be something new not normally done to add more ATF to your wipe when track conditions warrant it? ... might even be a secret thing to do??? or.... heck maybe nobody ever thought about doing it???? nawwwww..... ??????

Maybe it's a/the reason why you might have different wipes for different track conditions, with the real difference being the amount of ATF in the mix. ????

It was more commonly used internally. Much better chemicals to wipe externally with, and better control with these chemicals, of getting the tire doing what we are wanting from the tire.

This might/maybe/prol not help Prep sellers since the ATF angle has been entered.

You all seem to sell a red prep. Would you offer advice to your customers about maybe adding more, a specific amount maybe, of ATF when certain track conditions warrant it? If you don't I'm thinking it's then about wipe more on or use more rather then alter what your using. But I don't know and thought it might be interesting to see what answers might be given. ??????

Maybe something like x amount more usually for indoors or maybe wet conditions, or maybe a dust slick track, or maybe a sandy track? ?????? I'm into observed track and on track generalities which would indicate to me shifting adjustments and prep in a direction to solve problems.

I think and know from experience it's humanly impossible to remember all the do this to fix that and do that to fix this things, along with not having enough paper in the world or a big enough computer to store all needed info. ... :)

Might it be something new not normally done to add more ATF to your wipe when track conditions warrant it? ... might even be a secret thing to do??? or.... heck maybe nobody ever thought about doing it???? nawwwww..... ??????

Maybe it's a/the reason why you might have different wipes for different track conditions, with the real difference being the amount of ATF in the mix. ????

It was more commonly used internally. Much better chemicals to wipe externally with, and better control with these chemicals, of getting the tire doing what we are wanting from the tire.

Except for one prep which at the time I didn't even know it was a prep and I was prepping our tires when they were cleaned and know the results, I have no experience using prep. I was later told on a trip down south about the prep/cleaner I was using. It's use was then demonstrated to me on the track when their kart was sent out for the feature. In later years I tried it up north here a few times and the results were exactly as expected from what I was shown down south.

We switched to low budget car racing almost 20 years ago now and have never had a new tire to put on our cars always using throw aways from other racers. We mainly go to WoO races to get our tires. The closest thing we ever had to a new tire was one night when Scott Gerkin after the races brought over to me a left rear which was on Steve's car only when they put heat in the motor. Steve won the race that night and after I thanked them for the tire explaining to them, which they all got a laugh out of, that we never had one with the bumps still sticking out on it before.

I've cut the side walls off of hundreds of used sprint car tires rolling the tread up so we could get rid of them. I've studied lots of types of tires from Hoosiers, to Mccreri's, to Hoosiers before and after cutting them up. Some were cambered from the factory, some with the same markings had different side wall stiffnesses and some back then had no markings on them from the factory and some had the markings ground off.

As far as prepping goes back then I did not even think or know to look for signs of prepping. If we happened to get tires from a winning car what we'd then do is mount them looking at how they were siped etc and then measure the stagger. Those things we thought were helpful especially because we had a car on the same track that night. Because of the number of tires we have to choose from and knowing what car they came off of and what track, unlike those buying new tires we are able to sometimes able to go to a track with proven used set of tires for the track were racing. Used tires can be helpful early on when a track has a lot of grip because they may free your car up enough to get around ok. We generally need freed up more because we don't have the big hitter engines others do and come in at least a few hundred pounds over weight.

Thanks for reading so far and back to prep.

There was one set of rear tires in particular which were given to us by the winning car. I got to inspect them closely before they were mounted up to check siping and stagger. The only thing I found to be any different with them is when I inspected the inside of them they seemed to be newer tires them what I was use to looking at. They didn't smell prepped but seemed to smell newer. I chalked it up to maybe the team instead of having to use tires from the normal food chain supply not knowing how long the tires had been in storage, got their tires delivered right from the factory and they were fresher then what others had. I today still think that was a possibility because I just don't recall seeing top teams going to the tire trailer to get fresh tires to throw on before racing. Top teams usually have their tires ready to go and you don't see them usually buying of picking up tires. I suspect they need more time to study, prepare and mount tires then would be available if they threw on tires right from the tire truck.

Back to that set of rear tires. We used those tires which when we got them already had feature hard laps on them, off and on when needed for the rest of the year. The next year at a season opener a friend had just bought a new tire off the tire truck and we called him over so we could look at his tire. We pulled out the durometer and low and behold our used tire which won a feature last year and we had used off and on the rest of the year, durroed softer then the new same tire off the truck. Go figure? ... :)

The only thing I noticed was when we got the tire was it just seemed newer and fresher without any prep oder inside. again, go figure?

After all that I have a question. Could we start a list of preps which are fast acting with tires only good for a short period of time and a list of preps which have to be rolled in for days and last?

Paul, encontré algunas cosas, revisa tu mensaje privado.
pagodrias indicarme alguna ayuda con esta preparacion caseras??? gracias

Could you give me some help with this homemade preparation??? thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I always assumed petroleum distillates was mineral spirits .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230812-101810.png
    Screenshot_20230812-101810.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 9
There was one set of rear tires in particular which were given to us by the winning car.
After the last race Steve Kinser won at Lernerville, Scott Gerkin gave me both rear tires off the car and one of them was the tire the story of the next year at Wayne County is about. I said I got both rear tires off the car the last two races Steve won there but I don't think that is true. The other two rear tires Scott gave me were probably NOT off a winning car. On a side note the only sort of new tire we ever had was also given to me by Scott after the races. It was a new left rear Steve had on to warm the car up and he didn't like it so it was changed. Steve won that night which may have been his last win there too but I don't remember exactly. Anyway Scott carried the tire over to give to me. ... :) That's special to me along with one time seeing my son's car get pushed off by the Working Woodie. ... :)

When your low budget you take your high's from anywhere you can get them. Hope this was interesting?
edit: Scott was a crew chief I had the honor occasionally to talk setup and some of my 'dumb' theory ideas with.

Back