Pro Gas Spec Pipe Question

Dover Power

Is it legal to repair a broken pipe?
Can we add braces to it thats proven to help pipes last?

Got 2 pipes and 1 made it 3 dyno pulls before breaking is why I'm ask.. We went ahead and fixed it for testing more,, but wanting to brace the other so it doesn't happen to the customers in Florida...

Will anyone have these pipes at Daytona ?

And yes it gripes me to be forced to run this pipe,,, we build our own as you know...

JD

Hey Jerry, The WKA Gold Cup series has been using this header all season with good success. Yes, you can brace the header as desired. You must be making big big HP to break the header on the dyno! LOL

Steve

We didn't want to start weldig on it and get them tossed.

We had clamped on races on it when the first one broke

They need the flange strap welded on and the muffler bridge welded on to keep te muffler from sliding ff.. They needed approx .030 to .040 more swedge at the end for correct muffler fit...

HP... not a cluewhat it should be...lol.. is 8400 rpm's too much ????

Jerry,

Our PG engines are about 6% less peak HP than our Alky BP engines. For sprint racing most of the gold cup racers were twisting them 7800 to 8200 RPM. I think for daytona dirt they will be turning them around 7300 to 7500 or slightly more, not sure however. We broke a few headers last year and it was the welded on brace that broke. These racers did not have any additional bracing on them. Some of the racers were adding extra braces with a strap down to the muffler also and this really helps. Just like we use on the Alky engine #704 specs allow for bracing.
Remember .003 min lash!

Steve

On the Lash... who's feeler do we use ??? :) This could get nasty lol

The one from the United States National Institute of Standards and Technology that measures .0030000000000000000000 inches

.003 is .003 and that's about I know to say about this topic!

Steve

On the Lash... who's feeler do we use ??? :) This could get nasty lol
I know it's possible but in reality would/could someone get tossed for valve lash? It's a "feel" thing, not everyones idea of .003 feels the same. Just asking how nasty could it get?

I know I know it's new, different, never been done before but it actually worked pretty good this year in the gold cup series and nobody got DQ'd.

Steve

The feeler gauge that Bobby and Randall used this year was about 3/4 inch long and it was mounted in an aluminum holder. That way it was not flapping all over when they inserted between the rocker arm and the end of the valve stem. Like I said no one was DQ'd this year and I know in our engines we always gained a little lash after they were raced as compared to setting them on the bench. As always we have to have tech men that have the correct mentality.

Steve

So set them at .004 or .005" and you are safe.
Don't tell me that .001 or .002" is gong to win the race for you

Like many rules one can read into them in many ways,, some of the issues on the other side, we fight them everyday.. Guess it would be boring if it wasn't..LoL
The one person verus another on the feel thing is what I was eluding too.. As long common sense is applied they shouldn't be a issue..
I would think having a extra .002 there as well would safe guard a questionable sitution...

The feeler gauge that Bobby and Randall used this year was about 3/4 inch long and it was mounted in an aluminum holder. That way it was not flapping all over when they inserted between the rocker arm and the end of the valve stem. Like I said no one was DQ'd this year and I know in our engines we always gained a little lash after they were raced as compared to setting them on the bench. As always we have to have tech men that have the correct mentality.

Steve

The feeler guage like you just described in the aluminum holder can be bought at NAPA auto parts stores, just ask for them. It is the only one they have in stock as far as i know and is the one i have used for years when working on engines in cars, now i use them on kart engines. They hold up great

Jerry Dover - Its people like you that understand and help us all in karting. Thanks!

Weddle - I will have to go to our local NAPA store and get one. The one that Bobby & Randall used is a nice home made one.

Steve

HUM here is a thought you already HAVE a dial indicator. Just set it up and check the lash. No fuss and takes the FEEL out of it.

Not new we have been setting lash now for about 40 years with a dial indicator.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

HUM here is a thought you already HAVE a dial indicator. Just set it up and check the lash. No fuss and takes the FEEL out of it.

Not new we have been setting lash now for about 40 years with a dial indicator.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
What kind of the engine were you working with then?

406 Ford tri power in a 62 Ford Falcon. Harley sprint CRS dirt tracker hardtail.

AND everything since that has rockers and adjustments.

AS a note if you do not change anything adjustment wise the longer you run it the tigher the lash gets as the valves and seats wear into each other and close up the gap.

The valve lash is a SILLY rule in my book. It cost nothing to run it .001 or .003 and everyone is free to adjust the valves. Just another one of the silly grey area rules we can NEVER seem to get rid of.

Just a thought, (;-)TP

Hiya Vmax - Come see me at Daytona, I want to have a good long talk about valve lash with you. I will be parked in the vendors row at the dirt track.

Steve

Back