Problems starting my karts

Ericclover73lo

I recently bought a gokart from a friend because I'm new to the sport but wanted to get started. The gokart started fine when I bought it but has been sitting unused for a few months because I have been busy with other stuff. The problem is that now that I found the time to take it to the track it won't start. Looks like fuel is not flowing beyond the fuel pump line. The engine on this kart is an Animal. It has no fuel shut off valve that I can see, just a kill switch button, so I'm not sure if I'm just supposed to continue pulling the start cord to make the fuel flow past the fuel pump and to the carburator or is there something else I need to do. I also have another kart with a gx160 engine with the same problem after sitting unused for months. It won't start and fuel is not flowing past the fuel pump. This one does have a fuel shut off valve but even when its open fuel is not flowing. Any suggestions? Thanks

Carb needle and seats are plugged from failure to remove fuel. If it is gas it is due to evaporation leaving a goop or crystalline substance, if it is methanol it is due to corrosion. Both carbs need to be completely disassembled and cleaned pay particular attention to the tiny holes throughout. At a minimum jets and emulsion tubes must be removed and cleaned with chemical solvents and compressed air. Ultrasonic cleaning makes the job easier. Assume that everything needs a full cleaning even if you cannot see the contaminating substance(s).

Last edited:
Correct.
One note : be careful with the air . I blew the seat out of a Tecumseh carb just Friday nite.
It's in never never land.

Agree, probably the carb gummed up, but try pulling the fuel line off the carb and turn the motor over. That'll tell you if the pump/lines are good.

Correct.
One note : be careful with the air . I blew the seat out of a Tecumseh carb just Friday nite.
It's in never never land.

Should be easy to get locally. Get a oem Tecumseh needle and seat especially if the motor it is on operated in the cold. The rubber seat needs to installed with the tiny number on the needle side and the circle side against the carb. Install the spring clip pointing towards the air cleaner.

Thanks , good tip about the spring clip, ran into that issue on my boat carb . It's all about the details.

Already took the carb apart and cleaned it thoroughly including the jets. But the line that goes from the fuel pump to the carb is empty. Only the one that goes from the fuel container to the fuel pump has fuel in it. So fuel is not flowing all the way to the carb. Would this be a fuel pump problem? I thought it would be until I saw the same thing is happening to both karts. Do those lines normally stay full of gas even after periods of not being use or is it normal that they become empty after some time if not used?

likely a fuel pump problem.
take a piece of fuel line 3 ft long hold one end on the fuel tank vent then blow into the other end fuel should flow up and through the pump.
air leaks can be a problem. the third line is a a pulse line blow in to that as well in short puffs.
last disassemble or buy a new one.

They need primed . If it has a line coming from the valve cover to the fuel pump , suck , not blow on that hose rapidly . Fuel should start pumping from the tank thru the lines . Another way is to add pressure to the tank until it by passes to the carb , you can loosen the carb drain plug to get the air out of the lines and carb as you put the pressure to it . Doesn't take much pressure , just what you can supply by mouth should be enough . But I would try the rapid suck on the pulse line first , that will tell you if the pump is bad .

Back