Project Intek

I have a 206 Intek I am starting to play around with. Anything i should know before i mess it up? Also is it possible to use a flathead cam to replace the plasticam that it has now? Curious without comparing cause the crank can be used. Also is it possible to make animal power and durability out of this engine and or is it a waste of time.

Donald, you would need to replace the plastic cam with an animal or WF cam. Inteks have a larger tooth count like the WF and Animal do so it's not a direct swap with the flathead cams.. I want to say it was something like 58 teeth on a flathead cam and 62 or 64 on a Intek/Animal/WF or something like that. Been a while since I counted.

Consider getting an animal block and rt1 head. You'll have a better base to start with. I wouldn't trust the Intek flywheel for animal power so snag a pvl flywheel off a gen 5 animal.

Or just hit matt up he's got a bunch of animal stuff for sale cheap atm

Donald, you would need to replace the plastic cam with an animal or WF cam. Inteks have a larger tooth count like the WF and Animal do so it's not a direct swap with the flathead cams.. I want to say it was something like 58 teeth on a flathead cam and 62 or 64 on a Intek/Animal/WF or something like that. Been a while since I counted.
I figured that was gonna be the answer to the fh cam. How long do u think the plasticam would last on a mini bike? Thanks for the info.

Consider getting an animal block and rt1 head. You'll have a better base to start with. I wouldn't trust the Intek flywheel for animal power so snag a pvl flywheel off a gen 5 animal.

Or just hit matt up he's got a bunch of animal stuff for sale cheap atm
Thanks for your time. Couple questions as I'm definitely not up to speed yet. RT1 head? And what are the differences between my block and the animal block. They appear to be the same although I'm sure they are not. Would it be a safe comparison to a raptor and a tiller? Also who is Matt? Lol

Last edited:
Thanks for your time. Couple questions as I'm definitely not up to speed yet. RT1 head? And what are the differences between my block and the animal block. They appear to be the same although I'm sure they are not. Would it be a safe comparison to a raptor and a tiller? Also who is Matt? Lol
The Animal block and side cover are bearing blocks, not positive, but I believe the inteks are all bushing. Animal block is strengthened in key areas. You do not need the RT1 head, earlier animal heads work just fine. Personally I have not looked at the Intek heads for many years as they, by rules, cannot be used for racing. The thing about starting with say an old worn animal is you would get other things you would probably want, like a carb, manifold, flywheel and ignition. The blower cover on the animal is also much heavier to protect against flywheel failure.

My bad meracer9. The rt1 is the newest animal head and it's just flows better by my understanding.

If it's for a minibike just throw a flathead crank and cam in it with the appropriate rod and go have fun. It may not live long at higher rpm but of you keep it under 4-5 it should be a fun little bike.

The Animal block and side cover are bearing blocks, not positive, but I believe the inteks are all bushing. Animal block is strengthened in key areas. You do not need the RT1 head, earlier animal heads work just fine. Personally I have not looked at the Intek heads for many years as they, by rules, cannot be used for racing. The thing about starting with say an old worn animal is you would get other things you would probably want, like a carb, manifold, flywheel and ignition. The blower cover on the animal is also much heavier to protect against flywheel failure.
Yep my block is bushing and the carb really sucks but not in a good way.

Next possible problem is the slop in the flywheel. Endplay I can understand but this one wobbles up and down too. I'm stumped be cause I know the history of this engine and it has only been fired on either a hand full of times. I was told it was a small engines class engine before the class was eliminated due to cost. I was hoping since it was really fresh I could break it in correctly and get some life out of it. But if u can get an animal block ect for next to nothing I'd much rather use it. If anyone has any spare parts you'd like to donate to a good cause I'll gladly pay shipping. The good cause is doing my darndest to keep my boys and daughter in the garage instead of on the streets or on those dam video games.

I figured that was gonna be the answer to the fh cam. How long do u think the plasticam would last on a mini bike? Thanks for the info.
If you're just going to cruise it at 34-3600 rpm it would last fine. If you're looking to hot rod it, what we found when dyno testing a stock Intek back when they first came out, is that the harder you pulled it and the warmer it got, the lobes started to lose lift (deform). Let it sit and cool for an hour or so and they would spring right back and the engine would fire right back up. Weirdest thing our engine builder said he ever saw. BTW, just dropping a FH cam and crank in doesen't work because the shaft centerlines are different and the smaller gears wont mesh. That is why they sell the conversion gear to use the FH crank with an Animal cam. I personally like the bushing block with a DU bushing installed on the flywheel side and change out to a bearing side cover (which the IC Inteks had)

Awesome info. Thank you. As far as engine strain goes im not easy on them. I keep em turned to run, not idle well if at all. But it is a quite about more out put than my lil 3 hp id say. Although this lil 3 hp engine is quite impressive. Its older but had low low hours on it. I ran through it and did what I am capable of and it'll run and pull at 6800 all day long. Its nothing special as far as parts. But it sure does pay off to build it with attention to detail.

I have a flathead same way brand new but the flywheel bushing seized right off might have been corrosion from sitting un ran .. :unsure:
Makes sense. Pm me if you still want to do what we talked about last winter with all your fh stuff. I'd love to give it a good home still at my flathead retirement home

Back