Project Mini Bike Clutch.

I have a 3hp flathead on this bike with a Max Torque 12 tooth, with a stock silver spring. Before I was topped put at 31 mph. Now I can easily go 38.5 before honing in on proper jet and needle position. This is one of the most simple things I have ever done and it was actually 100% done on accident. I have always been told to becareful when oiling the brass sleeve because if oil got on pads they would slip and hurt performance. Well I must say that is not always true. Same as floating valves not always a bad thing if done precisely. I guess I must have put a little bit to much oil and it quickly made its way to the pads. Let me tell you it is night and day, until oil wears off of course. I have been using motorkote in a squirter bottler for chain, bearings, clutch, .ect. after the first accident wore off I added it intentionally and with extreme caution to how much and were it was placed. One small drop between each pad. This test run was awesome. It feels like I have a smooth transitioning 3 disc vortex instead of a max Torque. Now I remember why those good clutches are so good. If anyone has ever tried this or heard of anyone doing this I'd love to hear your experience. If no one has yet I hope this will help you get up front. Because it definitely will.

In racing we just buy a good disc clutch and can properly adjust engagement RPM and how hard it locks up! :)

with the oil, your "slipping" that clutch heavily and likely going to cook it in short time. But they're cheap clutches and not hard to replace!

In racing we just buy a good disc clutch and can properly adjust engagement RPM and how hard it locks up! :)

with the oil, your "slipping" that clutch heavily and likely going to cook it in short time. But they're cheap clutches and not hard to replace!
I see your point. But I don't think it was slipping that bad. It wore off already. Usually last about 10 good starts then slowly fades away. I was watching the heat and it never got to bad plus once it locks up full throttle it cools quickly

Back