Pros & Cons of toe out on RFvsLF

Can someone explain the difference in RF 1/8” Toe out vs 1/8” LF toe out?

obviously they are on different sides but isn’t the angle of difference the same? It just seems like the end result is the same.

am I missing something?

I have read a few times now that kart racers are setting "toe out" at 1/8inch .
why so much ?
My info was to set "toe out" 1/16inch .
I am also interested in the difference
of left - vs - right "toe out" !
If memory serves Phantom at one time
used left then switched to rt- side toe out

My Scythe is toed out 1/16 on RT. XXX#40 said he put both sides straight, deflection would give you toe out, makes sense if your front end has any slop in it.

My Scythe is toed out 1/16 on RT. XXX#40 said he put both sides straight, deflection would give you toe out, makes sense if your front end has any slop in it.
There is a possibility with straight up the slop in the front end could make it go back and forth between toe out and toe in and you don't want that. You definitely don't want any toe in and I would agree 1/8 is a lot on a kart. Can't imagine a FT end with zero slop.

There is a possibility with straight up the slop in the front end could make it go back and forth between toe out and toe in and you don't want that. You definitely don't want any toe in and I would agree 1/8 is a lot on a kart. Can't imagine a FT end with zero slop.
Toe in and out while under acceleration? if thats true we would run more toe than an 1/8
Never noticed, and the only time we toe'd out the LF was on super tight bull rings

Studying up on Ackerman is where I came to this question. Then I see people almost arguing on toe out R vs L. It seems to me to be the same regardless R or L. Toe is the different in the two wheels.
the karting world is full of snake oil, insane theories, and the rare honest answer. I've asked pros and people who have been in the business successfully for over 30 years and the answers they give me are baffling. good luck finding a concrete answer

The kart could care less which you use when setting toe. In race mode, it is almost never at the point which was used for reference.

However, using a particular side has an advantage of being more repeatable when setting corner weights. Which is the reason for using a toe gauge which references rear axle alignment for pinning the front wheels straight ahead.

Spend some time on scales to find most repeatable side.

Scaling is the reason for setting toe one way or the other.

Last edited:
Toe out on the left will make it turn left faster when that tire is loaded , as going into a left hand corner . If you toe out the right front , it will scrub corner speed because your kart is wanting to turn to the right more , lessening the effect of your stagger and setup . It will also cause your front to want to push more on an LTO kart . I would expect on a road course kart , you wouldn't want any toe out , but a toe in of a small number equal on both sides , much the same as you do your car that you drive daily . On my LTO dirt kart , I set mine straight up , and align the right side straight up , and if I am pushing in the corners , I will add to the left first , to see if it corrects the push .

I square the RF to the rear axle and adjust the toe out on the LF starting at 1/8". As I get the kart dialed in I reduce to 1/16 to reduce scrub. I have tried to go lower but the kart tends to wander back and forth on the straights.

I square the RF to the rear axle and adjust the toe out on the LF starting at 1/8". As I get the kart dialed in I reduce to 1/16 to reduce scrub. I have tried to go lower but the kart tends to wander back and forth on the straights.
You mean toe in Right? Toe out will make it wander, cause each side is fighting one another to go straight, so it wanders back and forth.

The whole point is to be consistent for scaling purposes.
If the person you get your information squares the rf and toes the lf, you had better do the same.
There is some difference doing it each way. Just need to do it the same.

As far as toeing just one side, the tire with the most traction will have the most influence. There is no way the least loaded of the two tires dominates the other.

I heard that the reason Phantom suggested toeing the RF out was because the kart was made on the very edge of legality in terms of wheelbase. With the toe out on the left the backwards angle could make the kart look illegal. As Rocket man said out on the track you will adjust the steering wheel to make the kart go in the direction you want to go making the static adjustment irrelevent. Make your choice and be consistent on the scales.

Back