PSA: Folks be very careful when mounting your tires , another wheel has exploded in GA. Safety First !

kartracer_3

This is the third time in the last year I have heard about a wheel exploding and it nearly took a guys thumb completely off.
We have started using a clip on air chuck and disconnecting the air hose from the compressor when the bead pops.
Be safe everyone
KR3

This is the third time in the last year I have heard about a wheel exploding and it nearly took a guys thumb completely off.
We have started using a clip on air chuck and disconnecting the air hose from the compressor when the bead pops.
Be safe everyone
KR3
Yeah most of those are user error, guys trying to use ratchet straps and buckets to bead tires, natural selection

Been mounting tires 20 years..was only blowjng wrinkle out at about 25lbs when the rim center weld failed..1st time ive had this happen.im very lucky...wouldnt matter if in a band or not..when rim lets go.you better not be close by..period..

I also find it interesting that it was the same kind of wheel involved in at least two of the rim failures. Still waiting on confirmation of one.

Just did 3 yesterday... 2 seated at about 80 the one tire had to go up over 100 to get the backside to pop.

You guys are letting your lube dry out or trying to mount stone cold tires or something. Mine usually pop below 35psi.

Vega Blue on Douglas wheels

You guys are letting your lube dry out or trying to mount stone cold tires or something. Mine usually pop below 35psi.

Vega Blue on Douglas wheels
Sounds like anything over 25 psi is unsafe with a certain kind of wheel and its NOT Douglas

Yea vegas are not mounting at 57 psi... everyone I have mounted the back takes right at 100 psi to pop and front takes 70 to 80. Also using dish liquid to mount them so they could slide on rim. Vegas are a pain.

Vegas are the worst tire I've ever seen to bead up. Never touched one til we moved here to Florida, always used Maxxis and Burris and never a single issue getting them to seat at 60psi or less.

SO spill the beans! What wheel is exploding? I don't see why it wouldn't be safe to warn others of this danger!

I've had a blue maxxis with about 60 psi in a tire band.
I was.letting it sit waiting for it to go the last little bit. I found it across the shop with the sidewalk blown out.
Never had a ton come apart though.
I've used several different things for line but mostly use dawn and water. I put it on the tire and rim with good results.
That's why I like to mount tires with no one around. Things can go wrong in a heart beat.

I've personally mounted thousands of kart tires and wheels over the years.
It wasn't until recently (maybe 2 years ago when I heard about some wheel failures) that I started using a 6' whip (air hose) in addition to the clip-on chuck and tire band/ring. Now that my teenage son is mounting most of the tires in our shop, I look at safety a good bit differently.
We have considered welding up a tire cage similar to what big truck tire shops use, but we haven't done that yet.

Whatever you do, be careful. I know some wheels are made better than others, but mistakes/accidents still happen.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back