PTFE

Absolutely!
Even excess coming off the chain will cause the discs to become glazed, then slippage, then overheating, then more slippage -- and it won't fix itself.
I've seen too many clutches come through our shop that have been over-lubricated and/or damaged from lubricants getting into the clutch linings. PTFE is really hard on them because it has a high heat resistance. That's why many suggest using Vaseline, which has a very low melting point, as bearing lube in the clutch itself.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Absolutely!
Even excess coming off the chain will cause the discs to become glazed, then slippage, then overheating, then more slippage -- and it won't fix itself.
I've seen too many clutches come through our shop that have been over-lubricated and/or damaged from lubricants getting into the clutch linings. PTFE is really hard on them because it has a high heat resistance. That's why many suggest using Vaseline, which has a very low melting point, as bearing lube in the clutch itself.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Brian, whats your thoughts on WD40 for a chain lube? I love TriFlow but with the PTFE in it Im afraid of it ruining my clutch.

No matter what you use, after you give a minute to let it soak in, wipe off the excess. Anything you can wipe off will not do any good anyway.

Brian, whats your thoughts on WD40 for a chain lube? I love TriFlow but with the PTFE in it Im afraid of it ruining my clutch.
I don't think of WD40 as a lube. It displaces water, and that's about it in my opinion. It works great at spraying down heims after washing the kart, and for purging fuel from an engine - that's about all I use it for anymore.
I use Lucas chain oil when we've got time to apply it and let it soak in, and PJ1 spray chain lube if not.
Tri-Flow is definitely NOT for use on chains in my opinion.

Why is Tri flow not good for chains? I ask because I believe I seen a video where you were saying something about it getting on the clutch. I’m just curious because I have been using it for years and I am now thinking maybe I have been wrong using it on my chain.

I must be the second luckiest , Now after we spray the chain we do hold a clean cloth around it and turn by hand wiping off the excess , but use Nothing else ever .
I believe that triflow can and will get in the clutch. But the ones that it does use it to so much extreme its dripping off their chain at the grid.

I must be the luckiest person in the world to have been using Tri-Flo on chains for 20 years and never having had an issue contaminating friction discs.
How often are you cleaning/rebuilding your clutches?
Just sayin.'

Most racers don't perform maintenance on their clutches as often as they should. You and I both know that very well.
What works for you will undoubtedly not work for everyone. Likewise, not using PTFE on or near my clutches is my opinion. Opinions can be shared or rejected, no matter how "lucky" you may be.

Totally agree, not worth the risk, we had it (Triflow) get in a clutch one time, cooked it during a few caution laps and cost us a race. Prior to that we had used nothing but Triflow for years on chains and bearings.

Back