PULL START VS ELECTRIC START?

novadave1973

We are currently using a pull start on our kart. the thing makes a horrific screaming noise once its running which goes away if I pull the cord assy off. Thinking about going to electric start. how fast does the crank need to spin to actually start. thinking of using an cordless impact. will that work? don't have the money to purchase an actual starter at this point

Last edited:
Impact puts a twisting force on the crank which some don't like.... Used starters can be found for $100 if you dig....or make offer on sellouts and perhaps someone will take a flyer... I have heard of people using stronger impacts for this purpose, though.

Alternatively, why not do like the old-school flatheads and just unscrew recoil and hold it on by hand to start and pop it off once started?

Alternatively, why not do like the old-school flatheads and just unscrew recoil and hold it on by hand to start and pop it off once started?
That is what he is talking about screaming.
The bushing inside the square driive gets dry and squeaks.
A squirt of wd in the hole in the end helps some of that.

I have used the cup type starters, left on the engine, which works as an alternative.

That is what he is talking about screaming.
The bushing inside the square driive gets dry and squeaks.
A squirt of wd in the hole in the end helps some of that.

I have used the cup type starters, left on the engine, which works as an alternative.
I have tried to lube that plate back there but it doesn't seem to do the trick.. Last year I did the hold it by hand and it did work ok.. but it also bit me a few times...lol.. Thanks for the help guys...

I have tried to lube that plate back there but it doesn't seem to do the trick.. Last year I did the hold it by hand and it did work ok.. but it also bit me a few times...lol.. Thanks for the help guys...
Need to oil the piece that stays with the engine. (the ratchet). There is a tiny hole in the center that lubes a brass bushing inside.

An impact will just try to tighten the nut, moreso than spinning the engine.
I tried to find a cordless ice auger setup to use, but was cost prohibitive.
If I fished, I might have tried it.

you can also disassemble the ratchet and add a dab of hi temp grease .
4 screws just keep an eye out for the balls when it come s apart.

Just pull the starter off each time. It's hard on the engine to leave it on if it's riding on the starter clutch all the time. Now, if you decide to go to the Eaton style starter, you'll be alright to leave that starter on -- but now you've got the expense of the starter cup and starter rewind (different) to deal with.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Its the way we always do/done our flatheads
thank you
just oil the balls, and make sure its super clean inside the case, grease can cause the balls to stick.
Neer saw a need for electric start on a stock flathead, one quick blow in the cap and it usually started first pull.
You dont need to super pull the starter, just because theres 4 ft of rope in the pull starter doesnt mean you have to pull all of it at 1 time

Back