Pulling Kart Trailer With An RV

A_TN_HICK

Wanting some feedback from folks that pull their kart trailer with an RV. I currently pulling with a 2500 GMC with a 6.0. Driving the thing everyday is killing me in gas. Thinking bout buying an RV to pull trailer and camp with kids and buying me something cheaper for everyday use. We have a 8.5 x 18 trailer. What u guys think? I hate hitting a hill and bogging down to 45 MPH. Thinking bout class c or smaller class a with a v-10 motor. Thanks in advance for your experienced advice.

If your pulling a trailer that big with a gas engine better have your wallet out when you hit a hill, you'll see the gas gage move. Get a diesel dually and you won't know the trailers behind you.

I'm already used to getting killed on MPG with gas motor in my 2500. Only thing is I'm getting killed everyday and just thinking if used on weekends the MPG wouldn't hurt as bad. My main concern is how well the RV's could handle a trailer that size with the v10 or the Chevy 8.1.

I'd scratch the idea all together on buying an RV unless your spending a ton of cash on hotel bills...keep the truck to just tow with and get yourself something easy on gas for everyday use....added insurance and maint alone will add up and you won't be any further ahead in the long run

I'd scratch the idea all together on buying an RV unless your spending a ton of cash on hotel bills...keep the truck to just tow with and get yourself something easy on gas for everyday use....added insurance and maint alone will add up and you won't be any further ahead in the long run

+1 Buy a cheap commuter car for everyday use, and keep the versatile truck. I bought a Geo Metro, and get 47-50 mpg everyday without a car payment.

I did the opposite. We first purchased a class A 30' its a '96 with a ford 460. And I only get about 6- 6.5 towing. I now bought a truck and get almost double the gas mileage while towing. If I race once a month it almost pays for the truck on the amount of fuel saved. 2 races and I'm saving money. Of course if the wife wants to go I'll end up having to take the RV lol.

I originally towed my 24' trailer with a chevrolet suburban and only averaged 5-6 mpg, one day when it was in the shop I borrowed a friends class C motorhome that had the v-10 in it. It had more power but the fuel economy was no better. I am now towing the trailer with a 1996 Freightliner FL60 extended cab ambulance that I purchased off ebay that only had 61,000 miles on it for $4500.00, it has a cummins/allison combination in it, we gutted the back and put in two couches that convert to beds,microwave, In motion DirecTV, and a 12v/110v refrigerator. I am now averaging 11-13 mpg and it pulls the trailer like it is not there.

That's a pretty nifty idea joe. I might look into something like that. Thanks everybody. Please everyone keep giving me opinions and info. Thanks again very much.

There is a Huge convenience to travelling to the far away, multi day races with an RV, comes down to is the situation is right. We travel with wife, 3 kids and sometimes the dog. Kids can sleep when you have the 3 - 4+ hrs to get to and from a track and actually be rested from sleeping in a real bed if they have school the next day. Kids are showered and have eaten dinner usually before we leave the track, no stopping to eat or use the bathroom on the way.

1st RV we had to tow with was a 2000 21' Class C w/Triton V8 with a 14 x 7 worked good, went to 18 x 8.5 and it became dangerous.

Purchased a '95 27' Class A, w/454 (easy to fix, parts are readily available) no slides & no jack (less added weight to Tow Vehicle). Tows the 18 x 8.5 trailer better than it drives by its self, I'm easy on the throttle so 7 - 8 MPG. http://s648.photobucket.com/user/nearybros/media/downsized_0427000820.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

We pull ours with a 36 foot Fleetwood Expedition. Make sure you get a diesel pusher with a freightliner chassis so the wind won't be as bad. You won't even know the trailer is there

If cost is the big issue, unless your fam is more than 4 or have an infant ...or goose neck hitch in the bed of the truck Summit has those kits that transforms the bed into a very large tent w/ air mattress. Before investing in another vehicle ,remember you can drive a 95ranger that's paid off for 40yrs parts and gas before the cost of that new Preus is over turned.

5 yr old, 1 yr old and a wife for me. The rv makes it doable. I have 3126 cat and 20' trailer. Gets the same economy that my v10 f350 got.

856506_690686147612237_1000329128_o.jpg

Back