Pulling Plug Wire

Why do most engine builders remove the turn off switch on the motor and make you shut the motor off by pulling spark plug wire? I thought that would be bad for the coil. I understand in an emergency pulling the plug wire is fine but I don't understand why the remove the turn off knob. Why is that?

Additionally . I can't say i have ever seen or pin pointed it as a cause of trouble .
I used to leave it for practice and heats then unhook it for the feature .
It is a handy way to shut down the engine .
Pulling the plug wire has risks as well .

ON the old flatheads the kill switch left a lot to be desired.
But on the modern engines they are a lot more reliable. A lot of times the wire that goes from the coil to the kill switch will rub on the engine and short out. The will cause a DNF.
Put the wire in a piece of small fuel line, or several heat shrink tubes to stop any chance of that happening. ON the animal, if the kill switch goes bad. Which I have only seen once. It just will not shut the engine off. I haven't messed with clones enough to know much about them , I have only owned 1 clone. That was back in 2010. The kill switch on it worked fine.

Last edited:
I had a switch go bad , and had a heck of a time finding it out . I switched to the B&S push button kill switch , and haven't had an issue since ..

The animal kill switch is my preference, or purchase a 30A toggle switch and locate it on the chassis.
Pulling the plug wire can be hard on coils for sure. With that said, we did it for many years with no failures that I am aware of.
Using a crappy quality cheap switch is a DNS or DNF waiting to happen.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Why do most engine builders remove the turn off switch on the motor and make you shut the motor off by pulling spark plug wire? I thought that would be bad for the coil. I understand in an emergency pulling the plug wire is fine but I don't understand why the remove the turn off knob. Why is that?
Just an FYI, the kill switch must be in place and functional at Twister for the predators. I don't think it is required in clone.

Back