Pure stock build

Buy a stock engine and focus on tires and maximizing momentum. Until this is perfect a engine will not be the deal breaker. You could have more horsepower and still get stroked every week.

Very true but there are a lot of guys with practically new Predators sitting in boxes because the next one or two were noticeably faster. Stock. Right out of the box. Win with one (running good tires and chassis setup) and suck with the others.

Yes sir. Down in South Georgia. What can I do to it myself to make it like there 679.00 motor. I also added a screenshot of there engine.
I personally know someone who has that engine and its a turd, a completely stock predator runs just as good.

Hey everyone. I’m just getting into karting. I’m looking to run the predator EL class. I was wondering what company’s are doing to charge 679.00 for a pure stock motor. They list it as blueprinted stock predator engine. And is this something I could build myself? Thanks
look up Thunderbolt Racing Engines, I think he's in Alabama, we have raced all around the south and I see his motors all over, they run out very well.

Am I the only one who giggles at "blueprinting" a motor, carb, or whatever? Blueprinting a motor is simply using parts and setting the tolerances and clearances to an exact standard, which in this case are the original factory printed standards...and at the end, making sure it's all documented...but of course when was the last time you bought a "blueprinted" anything and they gave you the documentation? It's an entirely overused term, but it sure sounds fancy, doesn't it?

So can you do it yourself? Yeah, with a few basic hand tools and a set of OEM tolerances, a piece of paper and a pen or pencil...TADAAA...blueprinted.

Am I the only one who giggles at "blueprinting" a motor, carb, or whatever? Blueprinting a motor is simply using parts and setting the tolerances and clearances to an exact standard, which in this case are the original factory printed standards...and at the end, making sure it's all documented...but of course when was the last time you bought a "blueprinted" anything and they gave you the documentation? It's an entirely overused term, but it sure sounds fancy, doesn't it?

So can you do it yourself? Yeah, with a few basic hand tools and a set of OEM tolerances, a piece of paper and a pen or pencil...TADAAA...blueprinted.
Not what blueprint means at all, when blueprinting an engine, you don't use OEM tolerances, if you did then it would be OEM not blueprinted.

The entire point of a claim rule is to keep people from putting anymore into an engine than the amount of the actual claim rule. $200 < $679. Then on top of that, I wouldn't trust anything with JRPW on the side of it. The guy is a known cheater.

Not what blueprint means at all, when blueprinting an engine, you don't use OEM tolerances, if you did then it would be OEM not blueprinted.
You should probably read what I wrote again, because I said precisely what blueprinting is.

"Blueprinting a motor is simply using parts and setting the tolerances and clearances to an exact standard, which in this case are the original factory printed standards."

The original post is asking about a "pure stock build"...so a blueprinted stock motor is exactly an OEM motor...and his question about if he could do the work himself instead of paying over $600 for a "blueprinted" stock motor he's looking at, then absolutely, the "blueprinting" he can do himself.

Last edited:
You should probably read what I wrote again, because I said precisely what blueprinting is.

"Blueprinting a motor is simply using parts and setting the tolerances and clearances to an exact standard, which in this case are the original factory printed standards."

The original post is asking about a "pure stock build"...so a blueprinted stock motor is exactly an OEM motor...and his question about if he could do the work himself instead of paying over $600 for a "blueprinted" stock motor he's looking at, then absolutely, the "blueprinting" he can do himself.
And again we do not set tolerances to factory standards, if we did it would not be blueprinted, it would be factory as it comes out the box. We open up the piston to wall clearance, use low tension rings, open up the rod clearance, free up the crank bearings, there are some carb tricks, there are a lot of things to blueprint an engine, maybe where you from its different.

And again we do not set tolerances to factory standards, if we did it would not be blueprinted, it would be factory as it comes out the box. We open up the piston to wall clearance, use low tension rings, open up the rod clearance, free up the crank bearings, there are some carb tricks, there are a lot of things to blueprint an engine, maybe where you from its different.
And again, I giggle at people who use the term blueprinted and don't understand what it means. It's not a magical term that somehow changes anything of serious significance...it's very simply ensuring that a motor is set to a specified set of standards and tolerances, so no, it's not different where I am and yes, that can be to factory standards with factory parts, especially with a cheaply built Chinese motor that has QC tolerances about as accurate as a blind person doing dizzy-lizzies and playing darts.

With the exception of using different rings and the "carb tricks" everything you've described is part of blueprinting to stock, but if you're altering them to outside what the original factory standard is then it cannot be a stock blueprinted engine, although as long as you're following a set of standards/tolerances then it's still blueprinted. If you were to take motor out of the box and essentially run a hone through the bore and re-torque the 12 main bolts bolts involved with tearing a motor apart so the clearances are within spec and sell it back to them for $400 more than they paid for it but now have the fancy term attached to it...well sure, good for you for finding someone who's willing to pay you for your 15-minutes of work.

Now, to stay on track with what this post is about, there isn't a thing you've said that Smaro (the original poster of this thread) cannot do with some very basic tools in his garage. If you want to argue over what the definition of something is then start a new thread and I'll join in the conversation there.

EDIT: FYI, yes I'm well aware to do even the basic clearance checks and reassembly of a motor takes longer than 15-minutes. My point is that it's not a difficult task and it doesn't take any specialized training or specialized tools. Someone could actually buy everything needed right at Harbor Freight at the same time they picked up the motor if they really wanted to...although the more precise measuring devices may not be as accurate as a more expensive brand...like with anything there, buy at your own risk.

Last edited:
^^^ yep : blueprinted to spec . The spec can be factory , rule book or a spec finalized for the engine in question .
Be it stock or modified .

To be technical here, EVERY engine that comes from Harbor Freight or anywhere else is considered a blueprinted engine. Engines are built, whether tight or loose, to a designed set of tolerances and/or standards. It just so happens that the predator engines are built to a very loose set of standards. They're utility engines. As long as they serve that functional purpose, thats all that the manufacturer is concerned with. Blueprinting also falls under modifying an engine to one's on set of clearances. But, in reality, every engines IS already a blueprinted engine.

^^^ yep : blueprinted to spec . The spec can be factory , rule book or a spec finalized for the engine in question .
Be it stock or modified .
To be technical here, EVERY engine that comes from Harbor Freight or anywhere else is considered a blueprinted engine. Engines are built, whether tight or loose, to a designed set of tolerances and/or standards. It just so happens that the predator engines are built to a very loose set of standards. They're utility engines. As long as they serve that functional purpose, thats all that the manufacturer is concerned with. Blueprinting also falls under modifying an engine to one's on set of clearances. But, in reality, every engines IS already a blueprinted engine.
Hence why I laugh when I see people talking about something being blueprinted, and especially seeing someone selling a "stock blueprinted" engine for over $400 more than it cost out of the box. It's an overused, and misunderstood word. It's kind of like the other day walking through the convenience store passing by the bottled water cooler I actually saw a bottle of water that was "100% pure organic." It's a catchy phrase, but all too often only used to sell something at a higher price but isn't actually any different than the one sitting next to it. For the record, water cannot be organic simply for the fact that it does not contain carbon...but man, it sure sounds refreshing, doesn't it?

Smaro, you should find out if the guy selling the $670 blueprinted stock motor can make sure he uses organic parts, ya know, just to ensure you get the best of everything. It might cost you an extra few hundred bucks over the blueprinted one, but hey, it'll be a really nice stock motor.

All joking aside, and to again try and stay on track, my personal suggestion is don't pay way too much for something that isn't really anything. Find out your exact rules for the class you're racing and make sure your motor falls within those rules. If you want to take it apart and make sure it's all torqued properly and has proper clearances then go for it, just make sure you don't alter it to be outside of what's allowed....well, that is unless no one ever actually tech's the motor, then I'd just find a different track to race at if you don't have the funds to keep up with the people who aren't following the unenforced rules.

Back