Purple Plate clutch and RPMs Question

Blue Duck

I bought out somebody's old stuff to let my son get a taste of kart racing to see if he likes it before we spend a bunch of money on top shelf stuff. I picked up an old Twister Super Storm with a Longbranch Engineering purple plate flathead on it. He is running Pee Wees/ Naskart Kids/ Chasin Racin Kids class. He is weighing in about 245lbs. Anyway we have to run a shoe clutch geared 17/65 for the local track. Last Saturday at his first race we had clutch trouble with the old junk clutch that came on it so a buddy of mine gave me what we think is a Noram (they run Bully now).

My question is based on what information I have given you what RPM should the clutch come in so I can figure out what springs to run in the clutch? The ones we put in last night were what appear to be the lightest springs in the pack and are an od black/brown/purple color, kind of like you colored carbon steel with a sharpie pen. The are coming in between 22-2300 RPMs. Thanks for any advice you can give.

You want the clutch to engage at peak torque. This is how you find out where peak torque is.

Put your bathroom scale up against a strong wall and put your kart nose up against the scale. If you start the engine, with the driver in the kart, and give it full throttle while checking the rpm and the reading on the scale, the rpm where you get the highest scale reading will be the best place to set the clutch. Of course this is a lot of trouble, and involves some work, but if you want it at the "right RPM" for best performance, it's time well spent.

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Back