purple plate with loop problems

carter170

ok Saturday night we went to a new track and we decided to run a loop pipe their and went I put it on he seemed to not make as much power compared to when we run muffled like we did every week does anyone know why this is happening also just to show he has lost power on his rpm tach when we ran muffler on 1st heat he was turning 5641 went to loop only 4792.
is this a cam lift issue or something?

I also dropped two teeth of gear because track was gaining bite.
how about measuring the length of both pipes and posting them?

I have exactly "0" experience with 4 banger pipes, but I have this idea that the loop is just a gimmick.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

It wouldn't be a cam or valve lift issue, as most are running stock class legal cams that fit a rather tight profile to be legal anyway.

The loop isn't a "gimmick" but it isn't intended for your application (.425 restrictor plate) either.
I've always made best power on small plate engines with an .880" main stage pipe at 20-22" in length plus the RLV muffler.

Having a properly tuned exhaust is critical for peak performance. All the components of your engine need to work together - simply changing pipes will not yield more power 99% of the time.

My "guess" would be that you didn't have the engine jetted correctly for the loop and that the engine was "shutting off" at the end of the straight away from being overly rich and not nearly enough cylinder head temp.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

ive never ran the loop before until now we have been on dover soulution curve pipe. .906 and you know after what you said im just going to stick with the curve for now. one question though do they make a loop that is small in diameter that would fit purple or blue really well.

Yes, we tried a .780" loop many years ago -- I just refreshed an engine that had that exact pipe on it. It made good power and the customer did not request it be changed.

My preference would be the .880" muffler pipe though for purple, .906" muffler for blue. For gold I'm on either a .906" or .930."

Back