PVL flywheel timing

I'm sure its like everything else on the clones... nothing consistent. lol.

I guess it also is subjective to the person checking the timing and their equipment accuracy...

Al, the newer ARC Billet flywheels are the only ones with 32* built in.
My bad. LOL. Thanks. Still, tell me, why would he ask that question if it's just a stock flywheel? Why wouldn't he just put a degree wheel on it and check it himself? I don't think I would be happy just taking somebody else's word for it.
Depending on the source, I almost never take the word of anyone. Even then, in most cases, I want independent confirmation.

29 30
[/QUOTE I have never used a key so I may be wrong, I just use timing light mark the exact place it fires, and set it from there.
But I tore down a blueprinted animal engine a few months ago, That was built by another builder, It had a key in it. was straight up key. Alcohol engine that won races. Most of the success in that engine were in the parts, and the extremely high quality machine workmanship, And the way the carb was setup. A real quality built engine The only thing I did notice was the key looked a little thinner than most could have changed the timing by a few degrees easily..

Where do the PVL flywheels typically fire? The ARC video i watched had the leading edge of the coil and the first line on the magnet noted as where it typically fires.

A true PVL ignition flywheel on the Animal engine is at 29-30 deg with a stock key depending on the crank
Our ARC Billet PVL ignition flywheels are set at the same 29-30 deg depending on the crank
The Dyno Cams PVL flywheel used with the standard Honda/Clone OEM coils are set at 28deg +/- depending on the crank

Any true PVL ignition flywheel will have two small magnets side by side. The coil will have 4 legs and will fire when the trailing edge of the second magnet is in line with the right hand edge of the second coil leg as the engine rotates. Number the coil legs 1 through 4 with the #1 leg being the first on the left as it sits on the engine. #4 will be the one on the right as it sits on the engine. To use a timing light on a true PVL ignition, you must spin the engine at least 1200-1500 RPMs to get an accurate reading. The PVL ignition will retard at extreme low RPMs to help the engine crank. Above 1200-1500 RPMs it will not retard any all the way to 12,000 RPMs with the blue coil. Hope this helps...

A true PVL ignition flywheel on the Animal engine is at 29-30 deg with a stock key depending on the crank
Our ARC Billet PVL ignition flywheels are set at the same 29-30 deg depending on the crank
The Dyno Cams PVL flywheel used with the standard Honda/Clone OEM coils are set at 28deg +/- depending on the crank

Any true PVL ignition flywheel will have two small magnets side by side. The coil will have 4 legs and will fire when the trailing edge of the second magnet is in line with the right hand edge of the second coil leg as the engine rotates. Number the coil legs 1 through 4 with the #1 leg being the first on the left as it sits on the engine. #4 will be the one on the right as it sits on the engine. To use a timing light on a true PVL ignition, you must spin the engine at least 1200-1500 RPMs to get an accurate reading. The PVL ignition will retard at extreme low RPMs to help the engine crank. Above 1200-1500 RPMs it will not retard any all the way to 12,000 RPMs with the blue coil. Hope this helps...
Yes I messaged you on facebook and you helped me out. Great service appreciate you guys getting back with me quickly.

I have a clone on the dyno with a pvl that timed at 29. Do you think I should try it at 31 - 32

Back