Question about 37lb springs.

oneman

Good afternoon, question about springs, we have 37lb springs, they work up to 7500-7800 rpm. We need 8500 rpm, would installing extra washers help to increase the spring preload and raise the maximum rpm?

Yes, as long as the springs don’t bind at full lift. I’m curious what engine you’re working on. 37lb springs will easily go 8500 on a 12-14.5 CI engine. You might consider titanium valves also, they don’t require as much spring pressure.

Engine configuration: 70mm Wiseco piston, ARC connecting rod, 27.5 25.5 valves. Titanium valve plates, Pushrod, Chrome Moly, Rocker champion HD. Standard clone camshaft with reduced base, +1mm lift. Carburetor B&S World Formula pz26.

I started noticing the Mychrone RPM max 7800 per race. I changed the carburetor, changed the jet, lifted the needle, adjusted the valve clearance, and checked the ignition. But the turnover did not go higher than this. Then I put springs from a Chinese bike 45-50lb, they fit the Clones. And after that I felt 9000 rpm.

But the springs from the chinese bike limit the valve lift, they are lower and thicker, so I think the maximum lift will not be higher than 0.280-0.290". So I thought I could try to put washers in and increase the 37lb preload of the springs.

They only limit the lift if they are binding. I will take that back, if the lifter is bottoming out against the block but you have such a small cam I doubt thats whats happening. 37 pounds isnt doing you any favors, it is robbing power from you. As stated abouve, #26 or #32 springs would be better. Springs need a lot of energy to compress.

They only limit the lift if they are binding. I will take that back, if the lifter is bottoming out against the block but you have such a small cam I doubt thats whats happening. 37 pounds isnt doing you any favors, it is robbing power from you. As stated abouve, #26 or #32 springs would be better. Springs need a lot of energy to compress.
That's why I put 37lb springs instead of Chinese 50lb, I was sure that they would last up to 8500 rpm. I read about it here. But I only got 7800.

Did you actually see 9k on the tach? or "Felt it" as you said?

Might sound crazy, check the RPM limit on your tach. Could be turning more and the Tach just isn't showing it correctly because it can't read past 7800.

Last edited:
Did you actually see 9k on the tach? or "Felt it" as you said?

Might sound crazy, check the RPM limit on your tach. Could be turning more and the Tach just isn't showing it correctly because it can't read past 7800.
We look at the engine speed on the telemetry of Mychron 4, I selected 8600 rpm, then I dropped the gas, but it was checked on a stand, not on the go.

here is a photo from the RS2 software, this is last year on Chinese 50lb springs.

Attachments

• nUSzRlvEKeD2p2goOFRfaPX8342Mnj0UnPf2Ql1FbDXb02X3fliyywbeFdcJMA7q8iO29tipj-cdVgL8wMv4mzgC.jpg
    nUSzRlvEKeD2p2goOFRfaPX8342Mnj0UnPf2Ql1FbDXb02X3fliyywbeFdcJMA7q8iO29tipj-cdVgL8wMv4mzgC.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 22
Engine configuration: 70mm Wiseco piston, ARC connecting rod, 27.5 25.5 valves. Titanium valve
Are the Titanium valves stock length? If not and they are longer the valves springs aren't installed at the correct height. you will have low valve seat pressure. I only know about the 10.8 springs and the rules that apply to them. But when i raced cars we had to shim our springs to achieve proper seat pressure.

It could be the way the Mychron is set up like ABR said or you might just not have enough cam.
telemetry is set correctly, I checked it, here are 2 photos, one with 37lb springs, the other with 50lb. nothing else has been changed, only the springs.

r2yqYbjgPzjrmpLBCpQFH_0d-RUPPfXQLULWyxPd1YwLdezyi50ubdWmzhhzd1zzm4EvCPzpNrVVvbHFelA51wtP.jpg

2K_TI9bQdLWMWrbiKvOc_Cyx_U5wJSSXaRddrjapRkLpTOcJjsefrtExhMww5HFAU-y5Uq9pdsUIDYKPDXwVoHr6.jpg

prob the cam limiting your RPM,

I used this camshaft last year to run 8300 rpm in races. I myself am surprised by this problem, before that there was nothing like it. I only changed the springs and the revs were lower.

Are the Titanium valves stock length? If not and they are longer the valves springs aren't installed at the correct height. you will have low valve seat pressure. I only know about the 10.8 springs and the rules that apply to them. But when i raced cars we had to shim our springs to achieve proper seat pressure.
sorry, I was wrong, titanium retainers are not valves. the length of the valves seems to be standard, but I will try to check it.

I think the problem may be in the valve keepers, I have a middle groove installed. and the spring is decompressed. I'm thinking of installing High groove keepers and a shim under the spring.

Yes, if the valve head is setting lower in the retainer you have most likely lost spring height, hence loosing spring pressure. Shimming would help. Be careful rocker arms aren’t striking the valve retainers also.

The springs I’m seeing in the picture have a red stripe on them. Are you sure they are 37# springs? Dyno cams has a red stripe 10.8 pound spring they sell.

The springs I’m seeing in the picture have a red stripe on them. Are you sure they are 37# springs? Dyno cams has a red stripe 10.8 pound spring they sell.
Yes, here's the order

Attachments

• C3C2D219-91CF-4069-8E2E-C8CB8F8DCECB.jpeg
    C3C2D219-91CF-4069-8E2E-C8CB8F8DCECB.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 37
Back