Question about tire use

Yes and no.
Very vague question for just 1 answer.
Same tires in more than 1 race a night if those tires are a good set. May not run them all night but saved for a particular race.
No if those set of tires were the wrong choice or plain did not work. May also just be scuffing tires for a later date.
Theres always different scenarios and agendas.

Yes and no.
Very vague question for just 1 answer.
Same tires in more than 1 race a night if those tires are a good set. May not run them all night but saved for a particular race.
No if those set of tires were the wrong choice or plain did not work. May also just be scuffing tires for a later date.
Theres always different scenarios and agendas.
Yeah guess I mean run them in a heat and then a feature.

Also depends on the prep used and the tire choice.
Some harsh preps commonly used in the midwest can only be used on a tire once per night (then the tire needs to cure out for a couple of weeks before it will be fast again.) When you see guys throwing fresh tires on the car every time it hits the track, it may be that they are using harsh preps trackside and cycling out tires.
Other preps allow the same set of tires to be used all night long and remain competitive. For this reason, your prep choice should consider your tire inventory and budget as wel. as track conditions.

As Earl said, if they're fast, (and the track stays the same,) you want to stay on the same set as long as you can, even across multiple races and classes.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

On Maxxis even with an amazing prep program I race them for the heat and feature usually and then flip and run them again and then after that they have a noticeable decrease in performance to be competitive enough in the class I run in.

On Maxxis even with an amazing prep program I race them for the heat and feature usually and then flip and run them again and then after that they have a noticeable decrease in performance to be competitive enough in the class I run in.
This is spot on with Maxxis tires... we can usually get two race days on a set. Practice and qualify then flip and run feature. Of course depends all on how hard and abrasive the track is. I've killed a brand new set on a Jr2 kart in one feature.

And on the total flip side, racing Friday nights on a surface that always stayed wet to moist slick that required torching prep, I had a set of 2007 Burris 11s that had 56 feature wins on that single set, used on 4 different karts for rookie 2 and rookie clone for 3 seasons.

And on the total flip side, racing Friday nights on a surface that always stayed wet to moist slick that required torching prep, I had a set of 2007 Burris 11s that had 56 feature wins on that single set, used on 4 different karts for rookie 2 and rookie clone for 3 seasons.
I see little to no wear after 3 nights on my Maxxis.

:oops: ......... We run the same set/sets all year.... heats, features, heck I had a set for 2 years, yellow vegas, won often.

How many tires do you guys use a year?

We run HT3s on a track where the clay is imported so it gets sandy and gritty from time to time. When the track is quick my JR3 driver can burn a wear band or two off the inside of the RF and a little less on the RR. For that reason, I keep my right sides circumference the same so I can rotate the tires. We also have the trailer setup to flip a tire between sessions quickly. Dismount the tire and mount it back up with the best edge on the inside of right-side tires and on the outside of the LR. We will run them until the wear bands are gone and the shoulder starts to blister. We can usually stretch a set two full Saturdays of practice, qualifying and racing.

Burris 33 program racing 2 money series, and 3 local tracks, special events and money races.
You gotta be 4 yrs out so inventory now is
2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 date codes for 95 % of the inventory, need a few sets 2018s and older.
46 total sets 12 sets 2022s, 12 sets 2021s,
12 sets 2020s, 5 sets 2019s, 3 sets 2018s,
1 set 2017s, 1 set 2015s
Will purchase 12 new sets of the current year date codes for the new season.
That's to run 2 Sr Karts and 1 Jr 3

Burris 33 program racing 2 money series, and 3 local tracks, special events and money races.
2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 date codes for 95 % of the inventory, need a few sets 2018s and older.
1 set 2017s, 1 set 2015s
This is insane.

1 set 2017s, 1 set 2015s
looks as if you spend $4000-$5000 a year in tires with a current investment of around 20k. do you win more that $5000 in money races/payback each year?

Back