Question about tire use

The initial investment in 33's can be costly. For the folks that aren't familiar with Burris SS33A's these tires are typically flat wore out with cords showing and years old before they have no value. Taking the starting cost minus the resale value I would guess that I could race 30 times a year competitively for around $1000.

The initial investment in 33's can be costly. For the folks that aren't familiar with Burris SS33A's these tires are typically flat wore out with cords showing and years old before they have no value. Taking the starting cost minus the resale value I would guess that I could race 30 times a year competitively for around $1000.
Even with chords showing they are still usable if you race indoor syrup tracks in the winter.

You have to buy them when you see them. Not always easy but they're out there
and them store them properly until it's time to mount them up, prep, cut, and put them to use... at least with Maxxis HT3s we don't run any Burris. I've Burris tires seam to age like fine wine and just get better with age. Any thoughts on that?

and them store them properly until it's time to mount them up, prep, cut, and put them to use... at least with Maxxis HT3s we don't run any Burris. I've Burris tires seam to age like fine wine and just get better with age. Any thoughts on that?
The only real consideration I have for storage is trying to harden the tire or trying to seal up cracks from aggressive prep (wipe some thick pink panther, wrap them, and let them sit). I keep my tires mounted and know what air pressure to set them at to maintain stagger.

Do Burris tires get better with age? That really depends on what you're wanting out of the tire. Some tracks require a fresh tire, others are better on a fresh cut but aged tire, and others want a used aged tire. Then you have different engine platforms (clone v predator) that require a different tire at the same track.

The only real consideration I have for storage is trying to harden the tire or trying to seal up cracks from aggressive prep (wipe some thick pink panther, wrap them, and let them sit). I keep my tires mounted and know what air pressure to set them at to maintain stagger.

Do Burris tires get better with age? That really depends on what you're wanting out of the tire. Some tracks require a fresh tire, others are better on a fresh cut but aged tire, and others want a used aged tire. Then you have different engine platforms (clone v predator) that require a different tire at the same track.
Thanks! Understood there are many variables. Heck the track is different every session on a Saturday night. With the HT3s older tires just aren't fast. I can get them stuck to the track but it's like they just don't come up to temp or something as the HT3 ages and are consistently slower than the competition. If I have an older set that is still serviceable, I'll throw them on one of the kid's karts for open practice, all kart role, or first practice if the track is really green but just can't use them when it counts.

Back