Question about Vegas?

Ok I know some people are gunna see my username and say "holy **** where has he been?"... I used to be all over these forums and also a gold supporter, dawg member and a GIF avatar maker... For those of you who know me, I moved to FL two years ago and I had to take a job that prevented me from racing. Well I realized there are more important things to life than working so I took a new job allowing me to race again.

Anyways sorry for the sidetrack. I'm used to working with Burris tires. Cuttung, shaping, scuffing, prepping, duro numbers etc etc... Down here in FL the track I'll be running at uses Vega reds. I'd like to know how they compare and how they contrast. Anyone have any suggestions on what's a good base duro for these tires on red clay on hot Florida nights? Any tips or suggestions is appreciated greatly!

Thanks guys it's good to be back!

Welcome back Dawg! Glad you can get back to racing again. Not much of a Vega guy, mostly Burris for us, but we do run yellow Vegas on our microstock. I'm sure someone with chime in here with some info for ya. Brian Carlson is a good guy to talk to. Very helpful.

Call TS Racing they are the Vega tire distributors here in Florida. Most tracks in the upper part of the State are on blue and yellow Vegas. That's what's running at the Vega series this weekend at Volusia.

Thank you John! I'll give Carlson a buzz later this week. I think I made a call to him a long time ago regarding preps... His own blend if I remember right...

We will eventually start exploring Volusia and Jasper but for now we will be at Callahan and they are reds only. TJ Newton and I talked a little bit about them today but tires are one of those things you perfect with experience and taking notes. I'd like to hear some insight from a vega expert lol. As I am merely a vega novice

I know me too. I know burris so well and now it's all gonna be cast aside. I got like 8 sets just sitting collecting dust now lol.

Burris is also like 5x easier to mount lmao. Vegas have a super stiff sidewall

Few years back there was a guy named David Hicken that was pretty good guy and has a lot of knowledge and I believe he races at Callahan O and he build us some good flathead motors and Iam sure he's got those clones rolling... Hicken Power look him up

Reds are very seasoned up now since they are an old tire that is now ceased production. While they are hard, they do absorb prep well. If looking for say, a 50 durometer tire, I would begin with 90cc in the rights of your inside prep of preference (I use pink magic). Lefts I generally use 45-60cc depending on track conditions. Vegas are very easy to manage week to week, usually only needing outside wipe at the track. If you're looking for additional bite though, black sand is a very user friendly prep on most Florida tracks. Surfacing wise, I use a 6" polisher with 180 on my vega's at a slow speed. If I can help any more, just shoot me a PM. Raymond at TS Is also a huge help. He goes by TS Parts man on here, or you can call the shop at (352)-793-9600
-Dustin Stagen

I know with the reds at Callahan, they are using between 150-200cc internally at their usual local show. The Reds are just so old.
I raced there when it was across the street, David knows me very well.

Thanks for the referral Mr. Atwood.
We'd be glad to help you. Earl was in that backyard for years - He can probably help you even better.
Reds to me are not a good tire. Even as a spec tire, you're going to spend so much time, effort, and yes (money) to get them to grip the track that you could have just thrown yellows or even blues on and been faster for less. Let's say you bought them at $100/set (TS close-out a while back.) Unless you have the equipment to roll and/or cut them yourself, you're looking another $100+ to have someone else do the work for you -- and they still won't work like a yellow. Like Earl said -- be prepared to kill them internally. :)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If I can help any more, just shoot me a PM. Raymond at TS Is also a huge help. He goes by TS Parts man on here, or you can call the shop at (352)-793-9600
-Dustin Stagen
Actually, altho Raymond is a good source, an even better source, there at TS, is Victor Peters.
He is TS's active tire man.....and equally expert in setup.

Well I do have all the equipment I used to offer services on Burris and we were pretty good at it. But the first thing I found with these Vegas is that it takes more prep to drop duro and the tread depths on a new tire is like half of a new Burris. They stretch and grow just as easy as Burris tho so stagger is easy so far.

Ok I know some people are gunna see my username and say "holy **** where has he been?"... I used to be all over these forums and also a gold supporter, dawg member and a GIF avatar maker... For those of you who know me, I moved to FL two years ago and I had to take a job that prevented me from racing. Well I realized there are more important things to life than working so I took a new job allowing me to race again.

Anyways sorry for the sidetrack. I'm used to working with Burris tires. Cuttung, shaping, scuffing, prepping, duro numbers etc etc... Down here in FL the track I'll be running at uses Vega reds. I'd like to know how they compare and how they contrast. Anyone have any suggestions on what's a good base duro for these tires on red clay on hot Florida nights? Any tips or suggestions is appreciated greatly!

Thanks guys it's good to be back!

We have used the Vega Reds alot and we worked them just like 33a's, usually 1-2 oz in the rights, half that in the lefts, but have used up to 4/3 before also with good results. The reds were the fastest tires on the track alot of nights when most were still on 33's, we love the reds and prep them the same way. Wanted to add, if the track there usually has good bite, you wont need 100cc or more in them, i think it would depend more on how old the tires you have are.

We have used the Vega Reds alot and we worked them just like 33a's, usually 1-2 oz in the rights, half that in the lefts, but have used up to 4/3 before also with good results. The reds were the fastest tires on the track alot of nights when most were still on 33's, we love the reds and prep them the same way. Wanted to add, if the track there usually has good bite, you wont need 100cc or more in them, i think it would depend more on how old the tires you have are.

Tires are brand new, track is tacky as far as bite goes... It's night racing so the dew should draw some moisture on the surface and they do water their red clay frequently, but the Florida heat sometimes dries the clay quickly....

What's a good base duro? I was thinking 65ish?

We are usually in the High 50's, low 60's for duro. The ones we got were new tires but older ones, so they were around 75 new and internally rolling brought them down around 68-70, then I work them down from there externally

Back