Question for Mechanics... 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Brake Light & ABS Light... HELP?

James@PRC

Site Supporter
I own a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.7L HEMI. She has 135,XXX miles on her.

Over the past couple of months, I've had problems with the brake light and ABS lights coming on for a few days, then going away for a few days. When the lights come on I cannot use my cruise control. However, the truck runs and brakes fine.

I thought it may be a speed sensor, but my speedometer has worked fine and when I brought it to O'Reily to have it scanned, their scanner read no codes. Could it be a bad hub? I just want to fix it and it's hard to pinpoint the problem without having a code for it!

Thank you in advance,
James Stanley Jr
Cell: (704) 310-1320

Had my 1999 Chevy Silverado Brake light come on...didn't think anything of it and a few days later found out I had to brake fluid. I blew a rear brake line so maybe make sure you have enough fluid to where it doesn't set off the sensor. JMO

James, did you have it scanned when the light was on? Intermittent problems can be hard to pinpoint. If the light comes back on, try to have it scanned without turning off the ignition off. It will clear the code if there is one stored when you restart the truck. Good luck

Yes, I had it scanned with the light off. As for the brake fluid, it has plenty and all of the lines look good. Just blowing my mind! Tired of seeing the light and not be able to use cruise when I'd like! LOL

Pull the plugs for the wheel speed sensors on the front, blow them out and put some Dielectric grease in them. If the speedometer is stable them more than likely it a front wheel speed sensor losing part of it out put signal.

Pull the plugs for the wheel speed sensors on the front, blow them out and put some Dielectric grease in them. If the speedometer is stable them more than likely it a front wheel speed sensor losing part of it out put signal.

Thanks Familyman! Will try that this weekend!

Without a good scanner to read abs codes you're gonna wind up chasing the problem, fr sensors are more expensive than a rear, could also just be a loose connector somewhere

Whats going on is in the kelsey haise abs brake control module there is a broken solder joint the fix ain't to bad. You can youtube it and find a step by step on it. we fix 4 to 5 a month

The cheap pocket scanners don't all read abs codes
But a lot of vehicles don't store certain abs codes
Take out the speed sensors and clean the tip
I believe the dodge truck might have a sensor in the pumpkin

could be and is most likely a front wheel bearing bad. Could be faulty sensor, dirt/rust on reluctar wheel. Most all times its a bad wheel bearing though.

I would advise you to have it scanned using a abs compatible scanner first. im guessing the scanner used at the parts store will only retrieve engine codes..

Back